El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the deal, I had good ac last summer, and now I don't. After looking up many ac fix videos I found out that my compressor isnt working, any ideas how I could fix this?

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
You probably need to find out if you have a freon leak. I believe your year Elky has a low-pressure switch. If enough freon has leaked out, this switch can detect it and keep the power to your compressor OFF, thereby keeping you from burning up the compressor due to low freon.

Personally, I would recommend a professional pull suction on the system using the proper tools, if it holds then the system doesn't have any leaks. Then it may be the compressor itself.

Hate working on a/c systems myself. :let_it_all_out:

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'll assume your system has 134A in it. Just buy a can or two and try to put it in. You may just have a slow leak and your 134A leaked out over the winter. You can try that yourself, or take it to an "expert" and spend a month's wages for him to "fix" it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hey Gage77, A simple way to see if you're low on freon is to by-pass the Lo pressure switch. Get a large cotter pin & separate it at like 40º, pull the switch connection plug off (attached to the silver receiver drier), and insert the cotter pin into the female plug and in both metal connections. Tuck the plug in a safe place, start car & briefly turn the AC on. If compressor clutch starts to spin, then it's low freon for you. You can fill the system yourself with a starter AC kit from any Auto Parts place. If you need pics of the plug location, just ask.... George :yell:

·
ZERO MPG
15,376 Posts
if your going to do the freon 134a walmart has it for $14.95 a can.
x2 low pressure switch it also has an ajdustment screw in the female end of the switch itself.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
dont be tempted to leave the clip in to get your ac working as it will kill your compressor as it gets its lubrication from oil in the freon stream. low on freon is also low on oil. if you do add fron yourself get the one with oil in it also or a can of oil charge in addition. usually it is either a oring leak or the old hose manifold leaking where the hoses are crimped on. look for dirt caked on any ac system joint.or any wet oily connection,look for wet spots on your condensor.you may have got some damage from road debris over the winter.yours will have the r4 compressor look for wetness around the compressor shell.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Remove the clip pin,...

dont be tempted to leave the clip in to get your ac working as it will kill your compressor as it gets its lubrication from oil in the freon stream. low on freon is also low on oil. if you do add fron yourself get the one with oil in it also or a can of oil charge in addition. usually it is either a oring leak or the old hose manifold leaking where the hoses are crimped on. look for dirt caked on any ac system joint.or any wet oily connection,look for wet spots on your condensor.you may have got some damage from road debris over the winter.yours will have the r4 compressor look for wetness around the compressor shell.
Gage77, As Carl said, DO NOT leave that cotter clip in the plug. Just have it connected to hear the Compressor clutch spin & remove it. Thx. Carl,.. - George

1 - 7 of 7 Posts