El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 1986 El Camino with AC. Is there a way to replace the OEM stock fan motor with something that is more powerful and put forth more volume. Maybe a truck or different motor from another vehicle? Any suggestions or hints would be gratefully appreciated.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
it maybe your fans not the problem could be the heater head unit is bad or your doors in the heater box they sometimes dont open right. i have trouble with heat and ac in my 82

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you done anything to correct the situation? Is there a way to adjust or fix the doors?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Check to see if its blowing out at the floor and dash if its blowing out there a lot and not blowing out the vents at all its likely the doors stuck or you could have a hole in your vacuum ball when you turn it on vent do you hear the door opening?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is not blowing out of both places unless you move it to bi-level. Yes you can hear the door slam. The vent on the driver's side hardly puts out any air. All in all the motor in the Max AC mode sounds like it is blowing hard but the output does not feel like there is an equal volume for the sound, if that makes since.

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
maybe it's wired backwards spinning the opposite direction.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
as jjLt1 said check the evaporater i have found so many plugged with dirt and crap. also look down the driverside vent to see if the feeder tube is still attached to the vent.there are a lot of foam seals where the vent system connects to other parts ant the foam breaks down over time and you loose vent volume

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
With the air on go under the hood and where the heater hoses go into the box make sure that's all sealed up. If not you will feel cold air blasting out of the opening. I sealed mine up and I have to put mine on low because it blows to much.:beer::beer: I used soft seal for windows it's at auto zone and it's a soft non-hardening rubber strip.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the Help with the AC/Heater

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will check all and see if I discover any of them. Thanks again.

·
Supporting Member
4,526 Posts
I replaced my motor with a stock VDO replacement. Get maybe 20% more air flow than with the old stock one. Over time, the brushes get worn, and the unit starts to draw more power. Worth the $20 to replace.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts