El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last summer AC only blowing about 60 degrees. I recently took the Elky to the AC man and he installed new compressor and dryer, and of course, evacuated and reloaded the system. I turned it on and was getting 41 degrees output....yeah! Next day, no cold air. I called the AC man and he said to turn controls off and on and then it worked. Today same thing happened, only I had to do this several times before the AC would kick on. I tried Max setting, normal, and bi-level settings back and forth several times but no cold. Turned everything to off and then back on several times and then it finally kicked on. Vent doors and blower motor work fine.

Is there a bad contact Or vacuum line on the head unit switch. What do I need to look for?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
it could be the selector switch or a number of other issues. it could be too much air gap in the clutch any number of connections. look for the green wire comeing off of the heater switch that is your ac request wire check it for power in the ac position and work your way to the pressure switches and then to the compressor. try unplugging and cleaning all of your connections. check the 4 wire plug that has the heater high speed wire in it they usually burn up. it is usually between the dryer and the pass valve cover.the compressor wires go through it on the way to the kicker relay and the compressor.look at the flat connector behind the glove box as well it has all of the control wires running through it as well.it should be behind the gloveboxs left corner.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Can you hear the compressor clutch engage when you turn it on? There's a low pressure switch with two prongs on the dryer I think it's called it's on the passenger side the big alum. canister and hoses go in with your heater hoses. If the clutch isn't pulling in disconnect the switch and jumper the plug and if the compressor pulls in then it's the switch or the switch inside the truck. Just take off the face plate and clean the contacts or replace it.:dontknow:

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
Also check the brown wire where it connects to the selector switch for burning. Typical problem. If it is you will need to replace the switch and connector.

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, during the failed attempts, I heard or felt nothing. Definitely could when it did kick on. The AC guy said he replaced the high pressure cut off switch and pointed to another switch he replaced by the dryer.

I don't know what the back side of the control unit looks like to mess with it. I can definitely pull the face and clean contacts and will check the brown wire to start with. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i just did an efi conversion on my 86 and had both harness s opend up to merge the donor harness to the elco harness and was surprised at how many of the ac and heater connections were starting to melt and mind you it all worked fine before i tore it apart. the only good connection was the one at the heater switch.i will try to post pics later tonight of the trouble spots i uncovered so you know where to look for posible problems.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i just did an efi conversion on my 86 and had both harness s opend up to merge the donor harness to the elco harness and was surprised at how many of the ac and heater connections were starting to melt and mind you it all worked fine before i tore it apart. the only good connection was the one at the heater switch.i will try to post pics later tonight of the trouble spots i uncovered so you know where to look for posible problems.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the top wire is blue and it was starting tu burn ,the next wire down is green and should have battery power whenever the switch is in any ac mode or def position

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. This is all good information. I am swamped at work this week and probably won't get to it this weekend.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
he seems to only have issues with the ac function not the blower as he stated it blew fine ,or did i miss something? i was giveing him the clutch control stuff only and the connectors it went through

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
The link was for you to explain why your four way connector had melted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts