El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok So as a previous owner of several g-bodies I kinda know what and how this AC systems are set up but I just picked this 1986 el mamino and it does not have AC.. but previous owner says it did.. He even showed me were the AC lines entered thru firewall.. and sure enough you can see we're he cut the lines and can even see the expansion valve hanging out.. So my question is this some kind of aftermarket system
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior
or some kinda base model oem ac system.. if so what are my options to get AC back on this.. Pic to show where I normally see the AC box in my previous g-bodys and other one shows the expansion valve on the opposite side..
Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive design Automotive exterior

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Not factory AC! Factory had no expansion valve. They were cycling orifice tube systems on passenger side.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have to agree that it doesn't exactly look stock but I'd also be curious which climate control setup is in the car, with or without a/c. As to putting a/c in your car, while I've never put one in myself, everyone seems to recommend going with Vintage Air. You could put a stock setup from a yard in but you'd have to recondition most everything to insure it works correctly. You could get yard bracketry and put new components to keep it GM stock and they all are available. Which way you'd want to go ultimately would have to be up to you, how experienced you are with a/c systems, and what your wallet allows.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts