El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my air cooling is not working, I kinda just want to remove the whole system to simplify my engine bay, but I'm a complete novice with this stuff, and don't want to screw anything up. So I want to keep my Heating cause that's working, and I'm planning on removing the air compressor first, I think its linked to the radiator, I was just wondering, if I were to remove it would it do any harm to the engine cooling system? What would be safe to remove? Any advice at all would be helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm no expert either but one thing you want to do first is to take it to a shop and have the freon evacuated by a professional. That stuff is kinda bad on the enviouronment and there are big fines if someone turns you in or something. Also, it would help to know the year of your Elco and if it's 4th. gen, dibs on purchase of you dash ducting!!!:poke:

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
78:poke: 5th gen....

I removed mine, my compressor was locked, if you turn it on and the belt squeeled then its locked! I removed mine but keeped the system, all I need to do is get o-rings and a compressor and I could have it on. Didn't cut anything, just gently took it off.

You can see I still have the hook up in the upper left corner, and notice by the drivers side exhaust manifold it still has the compressor mount, it stays on!

·
Premium Member
6,026 Posts
The one you like has a block off plate and there will be NO heater with all that gone. You can install an aftermarket unit from Classic Auto Air, Vintage Air or Old Air. they may offer a heater only version. they fit under the dash behind the glove box with nothing on the firewall.
Here is mine during install.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
What is Freon? and if it's associated with the ac system couldn't I remove the system and not worry about it? I should of said this before but simply I want my engine bay looking like this http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc431/1980elcamino/elcamino002.jpghttp://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/171/1181/25425590199_large.jpg
Freon is the chemical inside the air conditioning system to make it work. If there is any left in the system it will need to be removed before any of the pieces are removed.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Neil,
Did you leave the center dash brace off or did you fab something later?
I am just getting started with mine, you would have thought there was more room up in there
I like how you just tied into the stock ducting

·
Premium Member
6,026 Posts
I left the center brace but had to grind it some in a couple of places.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
So, my air cooling is not working, I kinda just want to remove the whole system to simplify my engine bay, but I'm a complete novice with this stuff, and don't want to screw anything up. So I want to keep my Heating cause that's working, and I'm planning on removing the air compressor first, I think its linked to the radiator, I was just wondering, if I were to remove it would it do any harm to the engine cooling system? What would be safe to remove? Any advice at all would be helpful. Thanks
Hey Chris!! Check out my thread:
http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=56666
I did exactly what you want to do to yours. It takes a bit of handy work, but totally do able for under $50. And even less if you re-purpose your original blower motor for your new set-up. Fabrication=Fun!:beer:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Removing is free and takes about 40 minutes!!

:poke: did you see my engine pic? It will look like that haha, the ac has so much junk!
yes removal is free. I don't know if your 5th gen caminos are similar to mine concerning the ducting of the heating/ac equipment, but if you remove all the blower motor and plenums, then you have no heater or defroster either

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
i got ya. Thats what i had going on for a while, cluttered up engine bay, with old, unworking ac equipment:
[/IMG]
but Kris is wanting to do what i did, by removing ALL that equipment on the passenger side of the firewall and smooth it out, but still retain a heater/defroster. The problem is, that the AC and heater are tied together, so you need to come up with some way to retain heater and defrost capability after you pull out all that old equipment. With a bit of planning, and ingenuity, it can be done without having to buy aftermarket replacement systems for hundreds upon hundreds of dollars
[/IMG]
:beer:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.