El Camino Central Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Deputy Director, Region 25 Site Supporter
2,759 Posts
That vacuum line also has a funny end on it. It is like mine that are hooked to the actuators.
Tom View attachment 144094
Yes l noticed that also,did you see the first zoom in diagram l posted mate?
I think they are the lines we are looking at. The owner says both actuators work which control recirc and fresh air⁸
The recirculate actuator is the one mounted in the kick panel.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yes the hoses have traces on them but the one going through the dash to the cowl is black.

It tees off and one goes to the passenger kick panel vacuum solenoid the other is the one that goes through the dash and is dead ended.

·
2,759 Posts
The actuator circled is the one in the kick panel for recirculated air. If you look at owners pics this is what we are looking at. If you look at the vacuum lines on the diagram it shows where those lines run. One from the controls to a T piece and then to both actuators that control fresh and recirculated air.
The owner says they both work,from what the diagram shows that line with the screw in it should go to the fresh air actuator. Like you said Tom,it has the bit on the end that looks like yours that attaches to an actuator.
So I'm wondering how the fresh air actuator is working on this car?

·
2,759 Posts
Hey Cp,can you see the fresh air actuator?
My number 4 post is wrong.
Does the air go where it's suppose to when you operate the controls ?
Floor,demist,face etc?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The fresh air actuator on the kick panel works fine. The one going through the firewall that is dead ended with the screw in it seems like it had an actuator since it has the same attach loop as the hose going to the kick panel actuator.

If so what does that actuator look like and does it go under the outside cowl? How does the actuator (or whatever belongs to the dead ended outside hose) attach?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yes l noticed that also,did you see the first zoom in diagram l posted mate?
I think they are the lines we are looking at. The owner says both actuators work which control recirc and fresh air⁸
The recirculate actuator is the one mounted in the kick panel.
Just to clearify, the picture with the yellow circle shows the hole in the firewall that the hose goes through to the outside and was just sitting in the cowl area.

·
2,759 Posts
If you look to the left of the yellow circled actuator it says dash panel which is the fire wall as l understand it.
The line with the screw in it should belong to the other actuator in the diagram. The actuator circled is the one in the kick panel

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The other actuator already has a hose going to it and the one that I'm trying to figure out has a firewall plug on it (which you can see in the picture of me holding the hose) so I know it definitely went through the firewall.

·
2,759 Posts
Ok,so the only other option for it to go is the heater valve going by the diagram. You say that you have located that and going by the diagram it goes through the firewall closer to the drivers side.
Can you send me a pic of the unit under the bonnet?

·
2,759 Posts
Ok,so have a look in there,there should be a flap that allows fresh air into the cabin. Is it there or has it been blanked off or something. There should be an actuator there that operates that flap.
I am 99% sure that this is correct, l did my system a few years back.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I did reach up in there and felt some type of a thin plastic flap... It didn't seem to move all that much maybe a quarter inch or so but probably enough to allow air to come in.

I would love to know what the actuator looks like and how it attaches so I can put it in.

·
2,759 Posts
Mine did the same thing,from memory it was a unit that bolted in. It did not move freely so l removed it and blanked it off.
I only needed recirculated air so l didn't bother to fix it. The actuator will look similar to the one in the kick panel from memory. Can you take pics of the inside of the cowl and post.
This is where that hose goes to,l am thinking the fresh air mechanism has been removed.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
That hose goes to the diverter door in the cowl. It stops the flow of fresh air into the interior and recirculates the interior air while in Max AC.

I have a 69 SS396 el Camino that came with AC.. I removed the diverter door your talking about. On the driver's side, removed the screwed in vent cover and put new (Non A.C.car) kick panels in with a cable-controlled door.
Putting these two floor vents in service made a tremendous difference in summer interior comfort.

·
2,759 Posts
Yes,the one in the kick panel recirculates the air and the one in the cowl draws outside air. I think maybe it has been removed hence the extra line being blanked off.
The actuator should look something like this cp. Post 13 threw me l thought it was there.
Vertebrate Light Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive mirror

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
That hose goes to the diverter door in the cowl. It stops the flow of fresh air into the interior and recirculates the interior air while in Max AC.

I have a 69 SS396 el Camino that came with AC.. I removed the diverter door your talking about. On the driver's side, removed the screwed in vent cover and put new (Non A.C.car) kick panels in with a cable-controlled door.
Putting these two floor vents in service made a tremendous difference in summer interior comfort.
Just FYI... my blocked off line is on the passenger side...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Yes it's an AC car and the dash is completely out as well as the air conditioning unit ...I'll check it out

21 - 40 of 55 Posts