El Camino Central Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
The vacuum diverter door is on the passenger side. You will need to remove the plastic grill that goes over top of the opening.

On the driver's side, if you remove the kick panel, right behind the parking brake pedal there is a sheet metal cover with a couple screws holding it on (Red arrow). This opening was for the driver's side floor vent. I bought two kick panels with the cable-controlled doors. This makes for a real hot interior in the summer if you leave those doors closed.

Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Deputy Director, Region 25 Site Supporter
2,759 Posts
This is the part I'm talking about cp,it is controlled by a vacuum actuator and is mounted in the cowl. Took me ages to find it but it does exist,mine had one.
It is on the passenger side where your vacuum line is.
Rectangle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Font

·
2,759 Posts
There is a thread on here from 2016 cp which explains what l am saying. I don't know how to share it though... lt is called " anyone recognize this part" it is in the the heating and a/c section,punch it in you might find it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Sweet ...that feels like it since I can't see it.

Hoping to get an actuator and get mine to work...

Thanks!

·
2,759 Posts
That is definitely it,when l asked you if both the fresh and recirc actuators worked you said yes and that threw me.
That actuator on that vent in the cowl is the other actuator in the diagram l posted, it lets fresh air into the cabin.
Let me know how you get on mate,
Cheers.

·
2,759 Posts
That's the one Bear,l reckon it has been removed and why cp can't see it. If it is not there you would never know if you were not familiar with it.
I removed mine as it was seized,l couldn't repair it so l blanked it off.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It should be similar to my '79 and if so, I believe Darby got it right in post #14, going to the vacuum reservoir ball.

·
2,759 Posts

It should be similar to my '79 and if so, I believe Darby got it right in post #14, going to the vacuum reservoir ball.
If you look at the diagram a 69 does not have a vacuum ball.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can anybody help me figure out where the vacuum line goes that tees of the passenger side kick panel vacuum line that also goes through the dash out into the cowl vent area??

Mine is s dead ended not sure why or where it goes to??
Goes to the distribution block for the climate control and the vacuum module on the cabin air intake diaphragm.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Okay the flap inside the cowl is there and works fine as seen in the picture and the blocked off hose is there as well seen in the second picture.

What does the actuator look like and where does it mount to operate the door?

It's clear it mounts under the cowl but not exactly sure how and would like to see a picture of the actuator which is used under the cowl.

Attachments

·
2,759 Posts
Ok cp that's it but the actuator is not there right? Did you look at the thread l was talking about? Bear found it and posted a link.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Yes I read that link but it talks about a 69. Mine is a 72 and the actuator for a 72 definitely mounts on the passenger side the 69 link says it mounts on the driver side which won't work for a 72.

·
2,759 Posts
Mine was a 69 and it was on the passenger side. You can see in the top pic that it is on the passenger side,that is the actuator and where that line goes to.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts