El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dash cap with factory speaker holes in it for my '84 Conquista. I have never put it on because I am concerned about getting my speakers in and out if needed. They tend to blow a lot!

Has anyone had any good/bad experiences getting their speakers in or out? I have trouble with them now, and when the dash cap is on, it will be a little thicker (and closer to the windshield).

I really would like to put the cap on this year and finish fixing up the interior.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I recently installed new dash speakers in my 86 EC.I had previously installed a new dash cap (full).I had no problem changing the speakers.The secret is to use a super short phillips head screwdriver.I was able to find replacement speakers for $13.99 at autozone,After looking all over the place.I never glued my cap in place still trying to make it fit right.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Not that hard,..

I have a dash cap with factory speaker holes in it for my '84 Conquista. I have never put it on because I am concerned about getting my speakers in and out if needed. They tend to blow a lot!

Has anyone had any good/bad experiences getting their speakers in or out? I have trouble with them now, and when the dash cap is on, it will be a little thicker (and closer to the windshield).

I really would like to put the cap on this year and finish fixing up the interior.

Thanks,
Mark
Mark, It's not that hard, done it 3 times with the new dash cover. The dash cap is only going to add a tiny thickness to the access space. Still a pain, and a tight area, you can get to those screws. In addition the small 90º phillips screwdriver already mentioned, pull off a cordless drill bit and turn it with a tiny open end wrench to loosen & tighten the screws. It's not fun, but if wife or girlfriend has small hands, it's a lot easier if you ask her. And,.. you can drink a beer while watching,..:: - George

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input!

I have changed my speakers many times using a 90º screwdriver. But it was TIGHT!
Thanks for putting my mind at ease....I'm finally going to do the dash now!

:You_Rock:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Believe you can spray paint them I did and it came out great. I was laughing at people talking about it so I went to you tube and there's many video's on it. Strip the old paint to the plastic or metal primer it then put a coat of duplicolor let it dry and repeat two or three times and do not reinstall after painting for two days to make sure it's dry. It does scratch easy but nobody touches it except me when cleaning. There's a picture where the computer is hidden by the door. If you do it right with new screws you cant tell the difference. It's been a year and not a chip in it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Word of advice,..

Thanks for the input!

I have changed my speakers many times using a 90º screwdriver. But it was TIGHT!
Thanks for putting my mind at ease....I'm finally going to do the dash now!

:You_Rock:
Mark, One word of advice, install the dash cover after the speaker grilles are removed. Only point being; when you silicone the cover down, make sure you neatly surround the speaker holes and place the cover exactly around the hole perimeter. My cover went a shade off on the right side speaker area, leaving a slight gap,... I re-drilled another hole (w/ a 90º stubby drill bit), and positioned the speaker grille to fit the new cover. You can't see it from your house, but I know it's there.., Good Luck - George :yell:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts