El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, so here is my story. I am in the Marines Corps and just got back from my forth deployment. I was in Afghanistan this time and on my last patrol i stepped on an IED and got medi vaced out of country. I have always wanted a 1970 El Camino so the day i got out of the hospital i bought one. Now I like old american muscle cars and i would say i know more then most people do about cars but not everything and i know almost nothing about souping up a old car. My question is what is the cheapest way to add some power to the car. Turbocharger, supercharger, nitro? I bought the car the way it is now and the guy that had it before me did a lot to it. I know it has a 468 in it now and some crazy custom air intake.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
First of all thank you for your service and welcome to ECC. The cheapest way to add power would be with a nitrous oxide kit. It will add power only when you want it. They make simple plate systems to hidden systems plumbed under the intake manifold and are priced accordingly. Good luck with your project.

·
Past National Director
2,927 Posts
Good to have you with us, Chuck! Thanks for your service. You'll meet up with a great bunch of guys here with more opinions and advice than you can handle! I'll bet Jarhead from Texas will be your new best friend when he sees your post.

P.S. I recommend you get a supercharger installed so you can sell me that air induction system real cheap! I've been searching for one a long time.

Again -- Big Welcome to NECOA!

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,462 Posts
ALL RIGHT LISTEN UP!!!
From one Marine (75-79) to another let me just say...OUTSTANDING...and Welcome also from another 70 owner. Although mine never looked that good. You are going to find there are quite a few old DevilDogs here sadly most have 5th gens. Must be the New Corps.
I found that a simple sticker in the back window works for me, does it make it faster, who knows but nobody messes with me either.

Semper Fi
:beer:

·
Participating Member
2,257 Posts
Welcome Chuck,
We all pray that your injuries are not life altering.

THANK YOU

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Welcome home and welcome to the site from one vet to another. Very nice Elky you have there. What gears are in the rear end? If it is not 3.73's or higher, you might want to swap it out. Going to higher gears sometimes makes you think you suped up the engine.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Well the problem lies with the fact that unless you know how's the engines built you can't really make a call on your best move.... Too high a compression ratio? No supercharger, no forged pistons? No supercharger or turbo or nitrous... For example my 468 has a forged crank and pistons, stock rods with ARP bolts and about 11.5-1 compression. It's not built to handle power adders... What i can tell you is that just last weekend I swapped out my single 750cfm carb for 600cfm dual quads and the seat of your pants power increase was incredible

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Hey Chuck, a great big HOWDY from Texas, aka, God's Country. Sorry for your misfortune but if your like the other injured Marines I've visited there's no need for sympathy, you were doing your job. I met a guy in Ft Worth last week to by a carb from him off of Craigslist. When he got out of his truck I saw that he was walking on two prosthetic legs. I asked what happened. He said he was on a fire. Then I saw a Dv tag on the truck. I said fire my ass! More like a fire fight. Not sure how it happened, he just said your welcome whem I thanked him. He is a Marine too.So thanks for going and doing. Now the important stuff. Welcome to what's becoming the MECCOA.Marines El Camino Club of America. Plus a few unwortjy pukes just cause we feel sorry for them. Now hurry amd move to Texas. We've been waiting for you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Chuck, a great big HOWDY from Texas, aka, God's Country. Sorry for your misfortune but if your like the other injured Marines I've visited there's no need for sympathy, you were doing your job. I met a guy in Ft Worth last week to by a carb from him off of Craigslist. When he got out of his truck I saw that he was walking on two prosthetic legs. I asked what happened. He said he was on a fire. Then I saw a Dv tag on the truck. I said fire my ass! More like a fire fight. Not sure how it happened, he just said your welcome whem I thanked him. He is a Marine too.So thanks for going and doing. Now the important stuff. Welcome to what's becoming the MECCOA.Marines El Camino Club of America. Plus a few unwortjy pukes just cause we feel sorry for them. Now hurry amd move to Texas. We've been waiting for you
Thanks, im thinking of moving down there. I have a lot of buddys around the austin/ collage station area. Might be going to school at texas state. Got to spend that GI bill. Thanks everybody for the welcome and the advise. I wish i knew more about it, but i bought it from a dealer that bought it off the guy that restored it and the dealer dident know much about it. I got it on Ebay and this is a link to it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150560118811&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fmotors.shop.ebay.com%3A80%2F__%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp4712.m39.l1313%26_nkw%3D150560118811%26_sacat%3D%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1#ht_1875wt_958

Iv had some friends that know way more about cars then i do and they say it all looks good. Glad i dident get riped off.

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,373 Posts

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts