El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
It's been a fairly nice day today so I decided to fire up my 71, been about 4 weeks since I drove it. popped the hood to look over things and my alternator belt was doin the watusee while spinning. the adjustment nut on
the ALT bracket had broken off so I fixed that.

When I bought the car/truck the ground wire from the battery was grounded to the alt bracket so today I wired it to the block.

My Sprint had red/pink heater hoses on it and I decided I wanted black hoses so I went out and bought a 8ft length and cut it in half, had a real hard time cutting them from the firewall, finally got it done. Put the new hoses on and I guess I didn't tighten the ones on the firewall tight enough and after about 2 min of runnin the motor I had antifreeze all over the pass side floor. :oops: I cleaned that up as best I could and retightened the hoses on the firewall. I thought I broke the heatercore but after about 10min of runnin the engine I see no leaks.

Gives me a good excuse to but new carpet for it, :wink: I've been wanting new carpet for it since I bought the car/truck.

Ya'll take care

Brian

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
All in all, sounds like a pretty productive day. All I got to do was pull the carb. off and take it to a friend for rebuild. :cry:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Actually the ground wire ties to the alternator bracket on a 71. In my opinion, it's not the best idea I've seen. That little bolt loosened up one time on my 72. After changing out the starter in the dark, I found the real problem. Cleaned up the ground connection on the bracket, tightened the thing up, and everything worked again.
I'm chasing around a problem with the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) system on an Olds. Haven't figured out why GM tied the alternator field, the idiot lights, fuel gage, and the TCC solenoid together on the same fuse. The TCC gives a problem, pops the fuse, and the alternator stops working. Replaced a good alternator just to find I'm looking in the wrong place again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts