El Camino Central Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Deputy Director, Region 25 Site Supporter
2,574 Posts
Hey, do anyone fellow Canadians know the laws or regulations in terms of importing a vehicle that isn't running (like it has no engine).
Will it pass border inspection and later provincial inspection?

Thanks so much!

Happy New Year!
Cheers,
Kevin[/QUOTE
X2 WP! Kevin do your homework also means fully understand all aspects of importation for your country.
I can tell you that to get a vehicle into Australia it must be running.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hey crazywolfie,

Thanks so much for your reply!
Great, "save up for teh 10-12k range"! Thanks for confirming that it was a better idea.

I'm looking for a rolling frame, because I have a dream for a diesel El Camino.
So I'm debating buying a cheap rolling one from the states and having it built there of finding someone to do it up here where we are.

I mean, I've seen rolling 1969 el caminos (some with engine and trans and some with out) for a very low... On facebook marketplace, there was a nice one for 2800. And I'm not looking for a show car, but a fun vehicle I can drive around Toronto and to my uncles cottage in the Bancroft area. (Honestly, I like that beat up look anyways...cringe....I know hahahah)

Thanks again for taking the time to reply!
Happy New Years!

Cheers,
Kevin

P.S. - Do you go to any car shows in Ontario? Like those Saturday car shows at Canadian Tire parking lots?
well if you price out what a good looking late 60's/early 70's classic car goes for most are usually about $25k and up so if you get a solid vehicle to start with for about 10-12k i would say you are doing pretty good. sometimes you find a pretty good deal but i find most of the time when something is priced quite a bit below comparable vehicles there is something wrong and you really almost need to do homework on the vehicles flaws and learn what to look for. i know i have done so much work on 1st gen dodges i know what to look for when shopping and have walked away from quiet a few that had way too many issues to fix. i have even had to walk away from my dream style vehicle a few times just because there it too much wrong with them to fix

i think i would almost be a bit worried to be driving a classic like that around Toronto. hahaha. you might like the look of my 81 truck if you like the beat up rat rod look lol. a lot of people like the way it looks.

ya i go to the car shows at canadian tire in orangeville. it is usually on Wednesday night in the summer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hi Mr Chevy, Oh yes, I went to the show in brockville once! It was amazing...literally jaw dropping! Hope to see you there! Thank you CrazyWolfie....that's good advice! Okay, I will definitely come to the ones in Orangeville one day! Thanks again:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hey, any chance anyone could look at a craigslist ad, I'm looking at an El Camino with newer engine swapped in... I might be going to the USA to visit family in the future and there a few El Caminos for sale in the area near my Cousins/Uncle/Aunt/GrandFather...

So, I could also use some pointers on what to visually check out (of course limited by my low mechanical knowledge). But I might pay a professional to do a classic car inspection.

I've been searching around 50 cities on craigslist daily since around the beginning of the year and a few well priced ones have sold (8-11k). Air Conditioning and rebuilt engines/transmissions have been the selling point for me because I will be driving this in the summer (too salty here in Toronto in the winter) and I don't have the tools or space to learn how to rebuild components.

Thanks so much :)

·
Elkybuick
2,905 Posts
Kevin there was one here in Florida near home what you where looking for if you find some around West Palm Beach let me know I think a lot of members like my self would look for you.

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
I know of an 80's model here in Louisiana. Very nice car and appears to have original paint and probably stock engine. I will look closer at it later today out of my own curiosity and its possible I know the guy.

Rick

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hi ElkyBuick, Oh, do you have a link by chance for that one in Florida?

Oh, also, do you happen to know anyone here on the forums from California?
There are always a few for sale at a good price near Los Angeles.
I would even buy someone a case of beer or whatever is fair if they would look at one for me :)

Hey B52bombardier1, Thanks so much Rick, I sadly am looking at 1969 models.
I was forever set on a 1972 this time last year, but my taste has changed lol

Thanks again everyone!
Cheers!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hello rtatwk,

Thanks so much for that link :)
It's a very pretty El Camino!

I think I'm into a 1969 version more though... hmm...
Thanks again still!

Cheers,
Kevin

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Menatour - thanks so much for those links! The second one is more in my price range, but after some speaking to, I feel I should be trying to get an LS1 - this way I get better fuel economy and saving money instead of doing my wild dream of a El Cummins diesel swap lol I'm so on the fence right now, I don't know what to decide, but I know when this happens I just need to take my time. Thanks again :) Cheers!

·
Registered
295 Posts
you don't necessarily need and LS1 swap to get good fuel mileage. the big difference is generally in what transmission is behind the engine. the difference between a vehicle with and without overdrive is pretty big. i know my 81 and 93 have almost identical transmission other than the 93 having overdrive and lockup torque converter. when doing long runs the the 93 gets anywhere from 2-4mpg better fuel mileage than the 81. around town both get the exact same fuel mileage.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Hello CrazyWolfie,

Thanks for the knowledge sharing!
I'll keep this in mind as I research more (I'm really not mechanically inclined - I can do some simple moped work tho hahah :)

----

Would anyone with some time and a big heart take a look at some ads and let me know their opinions?

I search every day in around 50 cities on craigslist and keep updating my favourites.

I'd love some of your opinions before I hire a professionaly mobile classic car inspector to do a head and take a look (considering I'll probably have to spend 250-350 USD on an inspection).

Thanks again peeps :)

Cheers,
Kevin

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
5,386 Posts
I search every day in around 50 cities on craigslist and keep updating my favourites.

I'd love some of your opinions before I hire a professionaly mobile classic car inspector to do a head and take a look (considering I'll probably have to spend 250-350 USD on an inspection)
$300? seems awfully expensive for a mobile inspector. there's one in the Austin area who only inspects and will not perform any work, even on a vehicle you are selling, so as to prevent conflict. their price is about $140-160.

what are you using to search? your best bet, short of buying one from a site member here, is to search with autotempest. let's you set all search parameters for craigslist

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm only asking because I have a car from the era in which you are looking. If you need any help let me know.
BTW I have also imported several cars and transported them too.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts