El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, am hoping to get a clear input on what exactly is the answer to the towing capability limitation of my car because I have a 350 and naturally the specs for towing are based off the 305 it had

or if im reading threads everyone talks abt their v6s or the 305s and those with 350's r talking abt total factory/stock mine has some extras nothing special i had already done those just due to the fact i live in Arizona and drive it in summer time i. Wanted my baby to be well equipped for the heat

I never intended to use my 80 elky to tow anything at all! Situation came up where my sister is abt to be an ASU student moving from Indy, i really want to bring her little 1988 vw cabrio(convertible) here as it's been our project/baby it only has 3 spd auto and is such a troublesome car it wldnt make it on its own

We dont have the money for a uhaul truck, i was already coming to see her hs graduation and figured i might as heck bring the elco to bring the car back if u can see my thinking process :)

We have a 2011 crv thats automatically out of the picture!!

1980 elky, with a 1975 sbc 350 very mildly upgraded still on stock stall speed and th350 3 speed... (Has external trans cooler linked to the radiator trans cooler also) front elec single 16" with manual clutch fan behind it
I happened to already have the tranny temp and oil temp gauge added just for giggles so i was feeling confident about the 2000 mile tow on a dolly as u can see

The 88 cabby gross weigh is 2300 give or take....

With jus 2 passengers and 2 dogs and a camper

Would love to hear what u guys have to say itll be in end of May car has no ac/heat removed it... I plan to limit it to 600 miles a day it'll be a 4 day drive

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,461 Posts
Towing won't be the problem, it's stopping that will.
What shape are your brakes and tires?
Take extra water and oil with you.
Do you have air shocks or bags? If not you might think of getting some.
I have a 4.8 in my pick-up and pull my 18ft. trailer no problem, just leave plenty of room to stop.
Do you have trailer lights? I'm sure others will chime in. Good Luck

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brakes are stock, i thought abt getting the ebc so it doesn't overheat... What can i do abt the brakes?

Add ducting to bring cool air to it or r we talking abt upgrading calipers ?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Should be OK on a tow dolly.Check tailgate drop clearance once everything's hooked up...just in case.Don't want to drop it on anything damaging in a forgetful moment.The EC should handle it,mine spent 14 yrs towing a ski boat.It has a substantial tow hitch attached.Rear air shocks holding air well enough for the task? Might be a good idea to have your transmission serviced a week or so prior to departure.Good idea adding the external cooler and gauge package.Bon Voyage!

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
When towing anything, give yourself extra room to stop.
The only thing I know about tow dollies is DO NOT BACK UP.... Don't even try it. If you put yourself into a situation where you think you need to back up, don't do it. Unhook the car.
Ralph

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
What shape is your cooling system in? How old are hoses and water pump and thermostat and coolant and fan clutch? Radiator 20 years old or more? I would put on new belts and put the old ones behind the seat. Should tow no problem, but it does put more of a load on everything so everything should be tip top for the trip. Cheap insurance really, I just put in a new radiator, fan clutch,thermostat and hoses along with belts etc. I really hate being stranded, especially for a BS thing like a belt or hose.Good Luck with your trip.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
When towing anything, give yourself extra room to stop.
The only thing I know about tow dollies is DO NOT BACK UP.... Don't even try it. If you put yourself into a situation where you think you need to back up, don't do it. Unhook the car.
Ralph
Thanks for that info not to back up ha I'll keep that in mind:qpx:

Im curious wether i needs different tire set up when towing? I currently run a 275/60/15 its a huge jump from 215/70/14

I sometimes run 325/60/15 but ideally whats the gearing size do i need?,

i have sniffed out everywhere on the rear axle i cannot find any. Type of ID to identify what gearing i have, but based on a trick by marking and rotating the tire i have somewhat 3.43??

I dont have an elcamino book but a general GM 1958 up to 1988 can anybody tell me what gearing i have? Its safe to assume that driveline/gearing is same as factory specs

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Far as i know everything is new on the car beside the body, interior, frame, a-arms and the brake lines ha

Radiator is newer although still stock, no plm driving in the 115degree heat never move above 180-

X2 on the belts i will be sure to pack up extras, as we ll as fluids, jack, electric impact gun, spare tire, basic carry on craftsman tools up to 5/8..... Monkey wrench, haven't decided if i shld bring my large jack or the small one then id have to brig a log of wood...:Eyecrazy:

Im the type of guy that will start planning a trip of this magnitude and far from home... And yes everyone i do have my aaa membership:banana:

Seems i got most of the stuff covered, although the final gearing bothers me just because recently been playing with my timing and realized with the tall tires takes the rpm higher than it needs to be so wanted see how does that effect towing

I'm not all that experienced with towing, have towed only few times in my life never a car dolly

Once again anybody that'd like to chime in feel free im always open to all kinds ideas or advices :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Clutch fan

What shape is your cooling system in? How old are hoses and water pump and thermostat and coolant and fan clutch? Radiator 20 years old or more? I would put on new belts and put the old ones behind the seat. Should tow no problem, but it does put more of a load on everything so everything should be tip top for the trip. Cheap insurance really, I just put in a new radiator, fan clutch,thermostat and hoses along with belts etc. I really hate being stranded, especially for a BS thing like a belt or hose.Good Luck with your trip.
How do u know if the clutch fan is going bad? I replaced it not long ago but used, it looked very new compared to what I had soi rolled the dice on it

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,461 Posts
If you have "play" in the fan, up/down, side to side odds are the clutch is going bad.
Check that the fan itself spins freely and stops after a few turns.
Also check this forum, a member here in Tx had to use it for help.
http://www.elcaminocentral.com/forumdisplay.php?f=131
Also if you have an HEI ignition system good idea to put a module in your parts box, those little critters go out at the strangest times.
Sounds like you have this trip all planed out.
Have fun and enjoy the scenery, take plenty of pics to share with the rest of us.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
How do u know if the clutch fan is going bad? I replaced it not long ago but used, it looked very new compared to what I had soi rolled the dice on it
I had an overheating problem years ago(not an ELKY) and replaced everything but the fan clutch which seemed OK compared to a new one. I finally got frustrated and just bought one to quiet a buddy and lo and behold the overheating stopped. Cheap insurance I believe.

·
Past Director Region 13, Senior Member
2,722 Posts
Enzo,

All of the above is good advice but, what kind of hitch do you have? Those bumper mounted hitches that are on so many Elkys are very flimsy. I know, I have one. I recently borrowed a friend's 2 axle trailer to haul a frame to the media blaster. The trailer is pretty heavy duty and probably weighs around 2000 lbs. The frame probably only weighs 250 - 300 lbs so, the total load wasn't very heavy but, when I went to disconnect the trailer, i discovered that it had bent the hitch.

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts
I had an overheating problem years ago(not an ELKY) and replaced everything but the fan clutch which seemed OK compared to a new one. I finally got frustrated and just bought one to quiet a buddy and lo and behold the overheating stopped. Cheap insurance I believe.
Put a 160 t-stat it kept my water temp. way down when the back was fully loaded 100d out going up a grade with air on and never got close to overheating. With the 185 in all I had was troubles under the same conditions I can't explain it, it just worked.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
with everything that hs been posted should be OK. you don't have to go the speed limit on interstaes when towing anything. don't take turns too fast. make sure when making a turn watch for the tracking from the rear wheels on the towed vehicle. make sure you can see both sides of the car being towed, you may have to get those extended mirrors. leave plenty of room for stopping use engine to slow before stopping. just mt 2c worth.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Keep your speed down...I had a buddy who was towing a boat with a Suburban, lost it on a freeway interchange and it ripped the hitch completely off the truck. And if it starts to fishtail, get off the accelerator, but don't stomp on the brakes!

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
X2 on the Class III,,,, a good hitch is needed,, I would not use anything but a III,,,, I towed a shell of a 55 chevy on a trailer, barely fit,, but i did have an issue with over heating,, had to put a 3 row radiator in in Iowa,, went from Ohio to South Dakota and back with a 79 Malibu wagon V-6 and 250 tranny,, trashed the trans about a month later,, it was a God given blessing I made it back,, worn that ol` wagon out!! Never again without a V-8 and ensure your brakes are really up to par!!! Matty man:cool1:

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Enzo, do a search of "trailer towing" and click "show threads". It'll answer many questions you have!

Doug

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Enzo,

All of the above is good advice but, what kind of hitch do you have? Those bumper mounted hitches that are on so many Elkys are very flimsy. I know, I have one. I recently borrowed a friend's 2 axle trailer to haul a frame to the media blaster. The trailer is pretty heavy duty and probably weighs around 2000 lbs. The frame probably only weighs 250 - 300 lbs so, the total load wasn't very heavy but, when I went to disconnect the trailer, i discovered that it had bent the hitch.

Everywhere i looked so far i see the same brand "draw-tite" class 2. I have not bought one yet will be doing that soon all i have left to do is buy a hitch- set of tires and a car dolly, i wS surprised:shocked: to find they cost 500-1,000 I assumed it was $200-300 for some reason

Can you point me in the class 3 hitch direction

1 - 20 of 24 Posts