El Camino Central Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Deputy Director Supporting Member
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering how many of you all now have more affordable health care options? I know for me the price on premiums went up, copays went up, out of pocket went up. If any of you now have MORE affordable health care due to this law, I'd like to hear your story!

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Not me but a close friend I spoke with over the weekend. in the California state market saw his rates go down almost by half (his words). He, his wife and son.

He was unemployed for a long while but is currently employed but with no employer ins. so this is probably in comparison to COBRA
Wife has pre-existing conditions
Son just graduated High school

Of course being in Ca. he didn't have to deal with the borked healthcare.gov website. He was practically giddy with the savings, his Wife was surprised as she is a major Obama hater (yes she hates him) so her response was good but measured against that.

I get my insurance through work so no experience here.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Affordable Care

Yes, rates are going down, but deductibles are skyrocketing.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
One of my kids has a preexisting condition. Family rate went from $485 to $950. I kept her on the old plan and she qualified for medicaid or whatever and moved myself and other child to a new plan. Didn't go to healthcare.gov

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,461 Posts
IDK, Keyser, I would much prefer to go to my Veterinarian Dr. than the V.A.
I saw how they handled my Father(a WWII Vet.) almost bleed to death having his tonsils removed.
'corse that was over 40 yrs. ago so maybe they have changed.:dontknow:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Odumber's Skeem of health care will flop on its own. It can not work. As for me, I can not afford healthcare now and even costs more on the idiots plans then I would pay now that I can not afford.

A revolution is brewing, this I know. America will be taken back from these NWO idiots and social nutjobs.
I am not buying any plans nor can I be forced to. I do not obey laws that are not constitutional no matter what they call it. I could go on and on....but no one will read it.:snipersmilie:

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
You may have Med Ins now but most big corps will cancel your Ins & you will be forced to buy Nobama don'tcare ins.Then the rates will skyrocket. Those of us that work or are retired & paid in all our lives will be paying for those who don't work or never did. It gets worse but cheer up nobody lives forever.:snipersmilie:we'll all be dead before too long & it won't matter.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
IDK, Keyser, I would much prefer to go to my Veterinarian Dr. than the V.A.
I saw how they handled my Father(a WWII Vet.) almost bleed to death having his tonsils removed.
'corse that was over 40 yrs. ago so maybe they have changed.:dontknow:
Did you know that besides federal employess (including VA drs), the only drs protected from lawsuits (for malpractice) BY FEDERAL LAW are WORKERS COMPENSATION drs? It's true! It was added as a rider to the ERISA bill in the 70s, which was s'posed to protect employees retirement funds. explains a LOT if you've ever had a work comp claim disputed.

:mad3:

·
Supporting Member
4,403 Posts
I have no choice but to go with AHCA plans. My insurance Co sent me a letter saying they were no longer offering the plan I have after Dec 31. The good news is we don't make a lot of money being retired, so with the "subsidy" I will be paying about 75% of what I currently pay. If I had to pay full price, it would be 40% higher. The Ins Companies are laughing all the way to the bank!!!!

As for choices, I basically have 2- an HMO plan or a PPO plan. And the PPO plan is a new Co-op developed just for AHCA- who knows how long it will be in existence, or how well it will function.

The bad news is that most AHCA plans are severely restricting the number of Dr's they are accepting in their network, as a means to reduce their costs.

And I agree that as a country, we can't afford this, and I'm not sure how long it will be before we are bankrupt.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I'm wondering how many of you all now have more affordable health care options? I know for me the price on premiums went up, copays went up, out of pocket went up. If any of you now have MORE affordable health care due to this law, I'd like to hear your story!
My wife's insurance, BCBS, dropped her current insurance policy effective 12/31 and offered three new plans to choose one. This after raising her premiums three times in the last year. As of 1/14 she will have a $5000 deductible and maternity. Just in time, she's 64 and were done having kids 36 years ago. Thankfully she will be on Medicare come June with USAA as her supplement as is mine.

The end game is having a single payer national insurance company. The GOVERNMENT. What program have they ever managed that wasn't a fiasco and fraught with fraud and abuse with little enforcement or penalties. Another bureaucratic entity eating at the public tax trough. Meanwhile major companies and unions who made campaign contribution and Congress and their staffs are exempt! WHY?

Thank the mindless ill informed voters the last two election who couldn't wait to get all the freebies the wizard behind the curtain promised.:joker: Problem is, somebody else pays for it, US.

·
Premium Member
12,123 Posts
From what I can figure out, everyone without insurance has to be in the plans to make it work. The more folks in it, the cheaper the rates will end up to be. It spreads the total cost to the point where rates can be gradually reduced. But if many folks don't get involved, the rates will get higher. It's just how insurance works, even on the house & car etc..
Big insurance companies can see more profit than small ones, just by being competitive on rates, since they have more people insured, to spread the losses wider..

And as it is now, emergency rooms at hospitals cannot turn people away if they have no insurance. So who pays that tab ? if you have health insurance, you do !!.... through your insurance company rates....
So some people show up at the local emergency rooms, with no insurance, with a head colds & minor or even major problems, and up to some point, it's free. It's called working the system for all it's worth, and many are good at it...

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
According Michele Bachman the pre-existing fund is out of money. They are no longer paying claims. You can pass all the laws you want, but unless it's properly funded, it goes nowhere.

·
Premium Member
12,123 Posts
Well, you gotta admit, that no one can screw things up like the government, whether it's federal, state, or local...

But nothing is ever gonna work unless people quit sabotaging any efforts to fix health care.

I figure it will eventually get done & working.

Social Security was a battle to get passed in the 30s, so nothing new about politics in that respect.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Self employed...
Have a catastrophic policy with a $10K deductable 80/20 copay, just for the big heart attack etc.

New least expensive Obama plan on my state site is just over twice as much per month with a $6500 deductable and 70/30 copay...

Looks like I will pay the fine and see where it all shakes out over the next year or so...

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts
Self employed...
Have a catastrophic policy with a $10K deductable 80/20 copay, just for the big heart attack etc.

New least expensive Obama plan on my state site is just over twice as much per month with a $6500 deductable and 70/30 copay...

Looks like I will pay the fine and see where it all shakes out over the next year or so...
You hit it on the nose the hospital deductible my sister said not me I haven't seen it is $17,000.00 deductible her husband was checking it out. ???????

For employers who don't chip in will be fined but the fine is less then the insurance so why comply?????

How can this work more taxes to the working man so the ones on Welfare get free health care??? The Gov. sure isn't going to foot the bill!!!!

Just another way to exterminate the middle class the poor don't Bitch and the rich get richer sounds about normal to bad their getting away with it at our expense.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.