El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 69 and the rear arm bushings are shot so i decided to to upgrade the rear and put new UMI trailing arms and sway bar. I am doing a disk brake conversion on the front with drop spindles and 2 inch drop springs and was wanting to do arms also. I see the arms drop the front 1/2 inch and was wondering if anyone had done arms in the front that doesnt drop the front? Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
You put drop spindles and 2" drop springs on the same front end and your car will be very close to the ground. I suggest only using one or the other first. If you go with the taller lower ball joint that will also lower the front end some more.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I would look into the SC&C Stage 3 set up. You keep your factory spindles and the control arms do all the lowering..

If you want to change spindles check out the Detroit Speed set up...

I would make sure both front and rear control arms have Delrin bushings and are adjustable...

Spohn makes real nice rear control arms with there Delsphere rear control arms.

·
Registered
599 Posts
You might want to replace the stock springs with some new ones. Old springs does affect handling and ride comfort. I put 2" lowered spindles but put new stock springs on the front

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys i went with the UMI arms with standard ball joint and springs with a disk brake conversion plus new sway bar. Yes it will be lowered 4 inches in the front i want it low. Working on getting the front finished up should handle great with all the suspension upgrades.

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,518 Posts
That's quite a drop. Please post pics once you have it all screwed together. Interested in seeing how a 3rd gen looks than low in the front.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will take pics, The disk brake kit had the wrong brake lines so i am at a stand still till the new ones come in. Yes it will be low if so i will just put a skid plate under it.LOL

·
Registered
185 Posts
How is your project coming along? I am currently installing UMI adjustable upper a arms with tall ball joints to help bring my front end back up a little. I have 2 inch drop spindles and the guy before me put 2 inch shorter springs with the drop spindles. Found myself bottoming out all the time. I'm also adding UMI springs. Hope it works well for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok guys i got the brake lines in finally got it on the ground and the wide front tires were to close to the fender well. I went ahead and put ridetech shockwaves in the front so i can adjust the height all the way around. I am waiting on my exhaust to show up and after i get it installed i will take some pics.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Looking forward to see your results. I'm still a ways away getting mine down off my lift. Dragging my feet getting my power steering installed. What size of tires and wheels are you running? I'm going with 17x8 4.5 bs all the way around on my 66. I'm hoping 235/50 will work without rubbing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks. It has 18 inch wheels they were on it when i got it. Exhaust is suppose to be here tomorrow i will work on that then get my air tank and compressor installed then wrap it up and get some pics of it aired out. I hope to have it all done by next week.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Moved some cars around and got the elcamino on the 4 post lift to make sure no clearance issues with the bags and all is clear. In need to do the exhaust and bleed the brakes then the air management system. Here is a sneak peek of it all the way down. LOoks way better on the ground.LOL

·
Registered
313 Posts
Looks wicked and the work you did is top notch. Personally, I prefer 15” wheels, old school stance.

Pls post an after pic on the ground. Thanks

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Looks cool! Like JJ said though, there go the headers! Please tell me that what looks like the exhaust system in that pic isn't bolted up! The thought of speed bumps will wake you up at night!

Joe

1 - 20 of 20 Posts