El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions on a set of connecting rods.
Tons of companies offer the I beam style forgings.
Are they all the same?
Made oversees?
Do they still have NOS new H beam Gm available?
I'm sure of the original GM quality,as many have lasted many,many years.
Not so confident in today's cost cutting everywhere I look.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
All the same? Of course not. some are fully made in china (CAT I believe), many are cast in china or forged in china and then machined in the states or mexico (SCAT and Eagle come to mind) then there are purely made and machined in america (Most billet stuff, crower and a few other top of the line name brands)

As usual the more you pay, the more likely its crafted here in the states. Hopefully without being branded a traitor, I can say I am impressed with much of the SCAT line, I've built their pieces into 600+ HP big blocks with nary a problem. I also run a full SCAT reciprocating assembly in my 350.

Did GM ever make H-beam rods? I've never seen a set of NOS GM H-beams - the old pink rods are I-beams like most of everything else and those are still good rods.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I probably have my H beams and I beams mixed up...lol
I know them when I see them.
I usually pick out what I want,then wait till I see a nice sale,and save a few bucks.
Patience pays off when buying and building an engine.
I love hearing the first few breaths from a healthy new motor that I built with my own hands.:inlove:

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
It may be over-kill for the type of engine you plan on. Another top name in rods was Carillo, but don't know if they are still around. Haven't heard anything about them in recent years...they were a grand a set some years ago.....

I'm still beating hell out of my 400 with stock 350 rods that I balanced myself, so it's hard to say which way to go....

·
Registered
174 Posts
The biggest limiting factor I see is rotating speed. A rod will last a lot longer if it is only spinning to 6000rpm rather than 7500rpm.

I like callies stuff. Their customer service is awesome as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts