El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ‘76 that “had” factory a/c. The PO’s removed a bunch of the stuff and it looks like it’s going to cost me around $1,000 for the parts alone to get it going again. Then there’s the labor. It looks like I can get an aftermarket system with everything I need for much less and do the work myself. Does anyone have any thoughts, tips, advice, suggestions?? I would appreciate any feedback I can get from the experts

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
I'm running a "Classic Auto Air" system and got 38 degree F air at the center vent going down the road here in Louisiana last weekend. And I have all of my glove box standard capacity - not all of these systems allow for that.

Rick

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
I'm looking at the Restomod systems. My ElCo has an R4 compressor and factory style condenser and works pretty good but the whole system cost nearly 1k just to get it running. I have used R134 in these systems and for me hasn't done really good. I'll bite the bullet when this system goes down because a new modern evaporator and condenser as well as a Sanden compressor will be so much more efficient and will be cheaper in the long run becuse of the more readily available components.

Joe

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
Hello,

Labor for somebody else to professionally install it was expensive - more about that in a minute when I gather up the courage to admit to the world what I spent.

The Classic kit with the GM A-body all electronic controller was about $1300 but would have been about $1600 if I had not provided my own brand new (not rebuilt) 300 dollar LS truck motor fixed-output compressor - a Denso pn 471-9186. Providing this LS engine compressor allowed me to keep using my GM LS engine front engine accessory drive (FEAD). An all new FEAD could have been anywhere from $1000 to $2000 with possible other ripple effects in the engine compartment.

So . . . given that I saved a lot of money not needing an all new FEAD, I rationalized that it was OK to pay somebody . . . . wait for it . . . . . wait for it . . .

$2000 in labor to build custom hoses, mount the condenser, mount the evaporator, wire the compressor, wire the heater control valve, add e-fan control to the compressor, vacuum down the system for refrigerant and UV dye and program proper operation of the blend doors. See, I now feel so much better explaining all of that to you and getting it off my chest.

Rick

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Man I have a 4th gen. We don’t have vent windows. Looks like I’m gonna be putting out some $$$ if I want a/c. I saw some complete systems on ebay for about 5-600 bucks that come with everything but the mount for the compressor. I think I’m gonna try one and install it myself. I gotta have a/c. I’m in New Orleans

·
Registered
939 Posts
Man I have a 4th gen. We don’t have vent windows. Looks like I’m gonna be putting out some $$$ if I want a/c. I saw some complete systems on ebay for about 5-600 bucks that come with everything but the mount for the compressor. I think I’m gonna try one and install it myself. I gotta have a/c. I’m in New Orleans
Unfortunately much like the 5th gens, I don't think anyone offers a plug and play kit for your 4th gen. Like one of the above posters said you can get a Vintage air builders series or something similar and build your own setup but it's going to take some customization to get all set up. You may want to see if you can find the factory A/C parts from a wrecker or something instead.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I'm with squag - If I were in your shoes, I'd start by checking wrecking yards.
Also for advice on this car I joined local Chevelle owners club. People take the car hobby all different directions. A couple guys in our club built serious race cars, deleted heat and air. Someone like that in your neighborhood would have what you need.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree with you guys and would love to get the factory air going. I have scoured the internet and locally but in the meantime I’m sweating my butt off. Can’t justify thousands when I can cool off for hundreds

1 - 14 of 14 Posts