El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, Guys....

I got an '82 , w/a 305 ( old,tired,blows soot,~210k-ish miles, no computer - run ok), with a stock 350th trans ( I don't know the history)...
I noticed it was driving funny about a week ago. Here's the deal...

* on it's own, shifts from 1st to 3rd at about 1900 rpm's/25mph...
* if I hold it in first and run to 30mph, and manaually shift into 2nd, nothing happens ; I stay stuck in first .
*If I then shift into D, it shifts fine into 3rd, and off I go...
* @30mph, if I manually downshift from 3 to 2nd, it feels really wierd; like 90% slippage ?- Something is happening, but not much.?
* I tried a bottle of Trans-X, but it didn't help ; fluid looks/levels OK.

other than that it runs OK... Shifts really well from 1st to 3rd. :? I don't Really need a 2nd gear, do I ? :bomb:

So, Y'all got any ideas what's up? Where did 2nd go ? Anybody care to guess how many miles I'll get before she dies? I'd really like to have a 4 speed, so I'm thinking of running it till it won't run no more, then swapping either a 200 or 700 tranny in ; more to come on this later, I suspect; eventaully/kinda soon, I'd like to swap in a mild 350 sbc, too.

So, Run it till she drops or y'all think I should take it an and have her checked out ( it's kinda a PITA) ?

'preciate the comments/advise ;
jeff
Orlando

·
Registered
19 Posts
there's good news and bad news. Bad news: You either burned up the band/drum (if it's a lockup) or you broke the sprag (if it's non-lockup). Good news: you can probably get away driving it for a while til you save up some money for a trans, but don't rely on the car for long, you can **** up a lot of stuff in the trans that'll cost fairly more than you'd want to spend on it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts