El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I was hauling some junk around the other day when I relized that the factory air shocks\coils just wheren't up to the job. It's not like I was hauling 1,000lbs or anything just around 300 or 400 and man did that elky squat. I was wondering if anyone has used the air bags you put in your coils for an elky or a complete four courner air bag setup or just the rear? I am still wanting a good ride along with some function and peromance. Oh yea I will not spend multiple thousand on this so don't give me some crap about 4 bags, multiple tanks, compressor, nitrogen and all that other stuff. I CAN PUT THE BAGS IN THE BACK FOR AROUND $350.00 I JUST WANT TO KNOW IF IT IS A JUNK CAUSE OR IF IT WORKS WELL. Thanks you for any info. :twisted:

·
Banned
881 Posts
Your El Camino sags because of the rear springs. If you're just trying to improve the load capacity for your El Camino look into Air Lift air bags (part number 60733). They cost about $75 through Summit Racing and install inside the springs in under an hour. When pressurized to 25 psi. they'll give you up to 1000 lbs. of leveling capacity. When you don't need them just drop the air pressure to 5 psi.

They will help you get rid of the sagging rear end (no pun intended).

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
31 Posts
hey ernie, I was wondering you said they run about 75 bucks in summit, was that only for g-bodies? I have an a-body 2nd gen (65) and was wondering if the price was the same or if they are different?
thanx,
-Yoshi

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey thanx for the info. I didn't realize how cheap they were. I thought it would be a lot more expensive and puts me at ease to know they are under 100 bucks. Thanx for your help.
-Yoshi

·
Registered
224 Posts
I ran a set in my old 69 elky for years, and I just installed a set in my "new" 70 elky this past weekend. Love em. 8)
They ride great, hold whatever load you want with out sagging- and If you valve them separatly(not t-eed) they will actually help your handling some too.
:idea: A lot of drag racers will run 1 bag in the right rear spring to help with launching...

Much better than air shocks.
8)

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have been running them for a good while now and I have had no problems with them.

The ride will be better because you can put real shocks in the rear yet you can still haul junk in the back.

I use mine as a truck and they were a good improvement. I can put a dual jetski trailer with a large steel box on the front of the trailer along with fuel and other stuff on it and with the air bags it keeps the ride height in the rear perfectly level with the front.

The trailer has too much tounge weight which will be corrected by moving the axle one day. (not my toys)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help guys, All I need now is someone to convince the new wife that my air bags and new shocks are more inportant then shoes and makeup. :twisted:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts