El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Holley 4160 carb with the open, two piece air cleaner. The bottom half/base doesn't fit level on the air horn. It rests on the fuel inlet hose. The only way I can see to get a good seal to the air horn and not deform the inlet hose, would be to use a spacer. Anyone else run into this and find another solution?
Thanks,
Don

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have a Holley 4160 carb with the open, two piece air cleaner. The bottom half/base doesn't fit level on the air horn. It rests on the fuel inlet hose. The only way I can see to get a good seal to the air horn and not deform the inlet hose, would be to use a spacer. Anyone else run into this and find another solution?
Thanks,
Don
Sounds like you need to get a different base, or a spacer.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I had the same problem. I found a base from a stock air cleaner that raised the base up so it cleared the fuel line and cut it small enuff to fit in the drop base. You could put the two base/bottoms on with the rest of the air cleaner and hold them together with the wing nut or use little nuts and bolt to hold the base/bottom together as I did.

Doug

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Don't know if this will help ? Spacer from a Chevy Astro van with throttle body ? What is the measurement of the carb ?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I called Holley to see if their base plate would fit better than the GM plate that came on the engine. The tech suggested Holley part number 26-25, it is a banjo swivel inlet with 5/16 hose barb. Mine has a 3/8 hose from the pump to the filter to the inlet, was that way when I got it. I downloaded the installation manual from the Holley website and it says that the carb comes with a 5/16 fitting. I was going to buy the 26-25 and use a barb to barb adapter to reduce the line down to 5/16. While I was on JEG's site looking at it they had a link to similar items and there was one, non-Holley, listed with a 3/8 barb, same threads (9/16 - 24) as the Holley fitting. Hopefully this will solve the problem and I won't have to worry about clearance between the air cleaner and the hood.
Thanks,
Don

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I had the same problem... My bottom piece did not have a big enough lip therefore my throttle would stop midway and the air cleaner would wobble. I just collected a few of the 1/8 gaskets that come with it and i think i have about 4 on there, so it brought it up about 1/2 an inch or so which solved my problem. The lip on the bottom of mine is maybe 1/4 inch so it was way too small anyways

1 - 6 of 6 Posts