El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A previous owner cut out the length of tubing going from the air check valve on the side of my engine to the cat and clamped it shut. A smog tech noticed during an emissions test and failed me for it (even though it passed the actual emissions portion of the test). I've talked to the local exhaust shop and they said that can't do it because the tubing is too small for them to bend, it looks like 5/8in diameter. To make things worse I can't seem to find anyone that has tubing that small that would be appropriate for this. Is my only solution to try and pull this out of a another car? Or have I been mislead and the metal tubing for this is actually very easy to find?

I'm at my wits end on this and can not drive my car since my registration expired before I could find a solution.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'd look for another exhaust shop, one that knows how to use a tubing bender. Bending tubing that small and smaller is easily done. I had mine welded using a sleeve of slightly larger tubing. This is a piece of cake.... find another shop... Real parts stores, not Auto Zone or Kragen carry a wide array of metal tubing, try a NAPA shop. Tubing is easy to find.

·
Registered
365 Posts
prob cheaper and less running around to just pull the one you need from a junk yard or they might sell it at a parts store, they usually stock smog related items. its going to be half of this weekend at the JY i go to,so if you cant find it let me know and ill see if i can find it for you

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the local NAPA store only had copper tubing, I'm going to call the smog shop to make sure if that is ok to use.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Junk yard is the way to go for sure. I faced the same battle... good luck!

·
Registered
144 Posts
call Random Technology. They may have something you can use.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is that the air injection system that connects to the exshaust manifold your talking about. Bercaus I just got a manifold off a 86 with that. My case is I need one for a 79.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
go to a truch suply store and get a piece of silicone hose to put it to gether.the silicone wont burn up.they used to sell replacement tubes and they came with the same hose to connect it to the converter

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies and sorry I didn't get back to you guys sooner, things have been pretty hectic with the car. It turned out copper pipe is an acceptable replacement since the original part is no longer made.

It passed the visual inspection, but this time failed the emissions (the opposite of last time, of course...). Failed the HC emissions by about 10 points at 25mph and was at the border at 15mph, the tech noticed a misfire and the mechanic I took it too seems to think that it's the mixture control solenoid thats the problem. There are no guys willing to touch my carb in Davis apparently, so I'm going to have to search in other cities.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
they are kind of useful, it helps keep me on top of maintenance and finds problems I never noticed (like the misfire), but man can it be a pain in the butt. If only the tech didn't fail me the first time when it passed the sniffer test :dontknow:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts