El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been looking through the site and saw some people are removing their emissions stuff (air pump, etc) on my 1984 (305 V8 ) I have all of this junk but it isn't hooked up (no belt from air pump to fan) so it isn't running any way. I want to remove all this junk but it seems that there are several metal hoses running into the exhaust. What did you guys that removed this stuff plug those holes with? Also could this not running be the cause of some of my vacuum issues? If I do remove this stuff what all needs to be removed and what needs to be done? Any one have a microfiche of this for an 84? Would the removal of this have any effect on my a/c that does not currently work (but I want to get it working eventually and convert to r-34)?
Any suggestions would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
The only emissions related (and not really related) is a high temperature cutoff switch that would interrupt the AC clutch wire when the motor was too hot. Not even sure they still used it on an 84.

While I hate most 70's and 80's emissions equipment I don't advise removing it if you have to pass a smog inspection.

That said, What you describe is the AIR system which was meant to pump fresh air into the exhaust to help burn any raw fuel that got past the exhaust valves. All it ever did on mine was cause exhaust backfire. It's a useless system.

If you're allowed to remove it, the AIR manifolds ( tubes that are sticking into your manifolds ) can be plugged with what I remember to be brass 5/16' coarse thread (don't remember the exact size anyone else can chime in here) pipe plugs that'll screw into the holes. The best way to match them up for size is to remove one of the AIR pipes and take it with you. NAPA is the best source in my neck of the woods.

The other option is to just get a set of headers or a junkyard set of manifolds without the AIR tubes.

Your vacuum issues may be related to the emissions system but not likely the AIR part of it. The AIR system usually consists of the pump, the tubes and a muffler that runs all the time when the engine's on.

What may be a problem is the vacuum lines to the EGR valve, PCV valve, Carb Purge port/Vapor Canister and if you have it a vacuum operated heater control valve.

:nanawrench:

·
Registered
70 Posts
^^^ +1

I removed those "metal hoses" by installing a set of Hooker Headers. But as previously stated, you can also just plug the holes.

Everything else is just a couple of vacum lines that also need to be pluged. No harm to the car, just a big no-no if you need to get the car smogged. :dontknow:

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,594 Posts
I removed all the A.I.R. -related pieces on my '87 with no detrimental effects to emission readings, computer codes or driveability. The other metal line you will have is one running to the catalytic convertor. I cut mine, leaving just a short stub at the cat. I then capped it with a 1/2" copper plumbing cap, sealed with exhaust sealant, and clamped with a small worm gear hose clamp. It's held for many years without a leak.

Bill

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome thanks for the info, Yes, I dont have to go through any Smog checks in FL...yet....at least until our crooked politicians jump on that bandwagon as another way to F their constituents

·
Registered
12 Posts
Whats really needed

For the guys in the know, My 85 was stripped of all emmissions including the computer. Besides a cat converter, is there any thing else required to pass emmisions?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
For the guys in the know, My 85 was stripped of all emmissions including the computer. Besides a cat converter, is there any thing else required to pass emmisions?
Thanks
Most emissions techs aren't that well versed in exactly what a car should have and if they do any volume they don't have time to look it up. So generally if you have the Cats, an EGR and a factory looking closed Air cleaner and vapor canister you'd get by.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Personnally I don't recommend removing emission equipment even if your state doesn't require it, I believe you still have to follow federal manditory emissions.The air pump doesn't use much power to operate it and the tube going to the cat just pumps air into the cat to raise cat temperatures so that it will work.That being said if you want a little more umph and a little better mpg try going with a high flow cat and larger exhaust but don't go overboard. Check this out for your AC on EBAY search for Freeze 12 it's a replacement for r12 and you don't have to do anything special to use it and it's better than r134, I have put it in a couple of late 80s Camaros and it is a heck of a lot better than r134.

·
Registered
49 Posts
if you decide to remove the metal tubes going into the exhaust manifold as I did. You need 8 1/4" NPT pipe threads. Found mine at the home depot for $1.08 each.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i recenly removed my air pump and was wondering if thats why my check engine light is on?
if so what can i do besides putting it back on, to stop the check engine light from coming on?
i tried pulling codes but didnt even get a code 12, ive pulled codes before and im doing it right
but am stumped.

·
Registered
478 Posts
pull the bulb from the dash. here in TX all cars over 24yrs old only have safety insp. Mines a 85, so there went the emissions. After converting the crate motor over, just pulled out the buld and all is well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
again, for the second time this week, DO NOT use brass plugs in your exhaust manifolds... they expand and contract different than iron and will loosen up and blow out under exhaust pressure going down the road. plug with IRON pipe thread caps widely available in the PLUMBING dept.

·
Registered
117 Posts
and they are 1/4 in plumbers plugs 1.09 ea. at farm and fleet
for the record my codes were 24 and 34 but its all good now
i have no idea why it wouldnt read for 2 days in a row and all of the sudden...wala

·
Participating Member
2,257 Posts
Keep in mind that on your vehicle, A.I.R. treats the exhaust by oxidizing post-combustion unburnt fuel. This assists the catalytic converter in it's function of converting unburnt HCs. Without the extra air, the converter will fail prematurely.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'd second and third all the recommendations to, if you decide to remove them, keep the AIR emissions stuff you take off stored somewhere.

Here in Kommie-fornia, with the state desperate for revenue, they're looking at every avenue to generate funds. My mechanic told me one of his customers got spot checked by CHP posing as a car enthusiast wanting to get a look under his hood. The car was old enough to not have to pass smog BUT it did originally come with some emissions components that were removed. He's now having to deal with the smog referee while trying to track down all the original components that came on the car.

Better to be safe than sorry. Never know when your state may get as desperate as CA…

·
Registered
5 Posts
Be careful ...

Although there are many things to love about my home state of California, the emissions laws are a pain for us car enthusiasts. Calif froze the emissions testing at 1976 - meaning that FOREVER a 1976 and newer car will be tested at least every 2 years and it MUST have all of the stock emissions equipment in order to pass the VISUAL test before they even hook it up to the machine for testing. "The machine" is also tied - via internet - to a machine in Sacramento to prevent local testors from cheating the test.

You say "So what, I don't live in Ca. Too bad for you." As of now, 12 other states have become "me too states," adopting the entire "book of emissions laws" from Ca.

You say "So what, no my state." Two years ago, only about half as many states had adopted the Ca. emissions laws. Expect more to follow. If / when your state follows, you better be able to go to that box in back of the garage and pull out all your old emissions crap and reinstall it, or it will co$t you a lot to reaquire all that stuff.

I aslo strongly suggest you take some pics of all that maze of vacuum tubing before you start to disconnect and plug. The pics will come in handy if your state does adopt this absurd 1976 policy.

FWIW

·
Registered
60 Posts
So I have been looking through the site and saw some people are removing their emissions stuff (air pump, etc) on my 1984 (305 V8 ) I have all of this junk but it isn't hooked up (no belt from air pump to fan) so it isn't running any way. I want to remove all this junk but it seems that there are several metal hoses running into the exhaust. What did you guys that removed this stuff plug those holes with? Also could this not running be the cause of some of my vacuum issues? If I do remove this stuff what all needs to be removed and what needs to be done? Any one have a microfiche of this for an 84? Would the removal of this have any effect on my a/c that does not currently work (but I want to get it working eventually and convert to r-34)?
Any suggestions would be helpful.
I've been wondering the same thing about my 67, I took the pump out, now I just have to plug the holes on the exhaust manifold, however, it seems like there's some more junk connected to the carb, does anyone know something about that?

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
A standard 67 engine won't have much else for emissions control unless maybe it was a California car. Positive Crankcase Ventilation, vacuum line to the distributor, heat riser to the air cleaner . . . not much else I can think of.

Ya' got any pictures of your engine?

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts