El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can i expect any running problems if i remove the emission plumding ? 2 reason are i of the connections on passenger side is leaking and the other is i would like clean up the intake area ? i,m also going to replace the valve covers and the gaskets ! any recommendations would be appreciated .i,m on disability and trying to make every dollar count !!

·
Premium Member
12,550 Posts
I just removed mine with no problems. Just remember to go to the hardware store and get some 3/8 plugs to fill the holes!!
Donny

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,586 Posts
Mine's been off for years on my '87 with no codes or no problems. Here's what I can remember of the process: As DDD says, remove the lines in the manifolds and plug the holes. I got a bit elaborate with mine, tapping the holes for set screws, sealing them over with POR 15's exhaust manifold sealer and coating the entire manifold with POR 15 manifold coating. Remove the pump and bracketry. I used one of the mounting bosses for my battery ground cable so it bolts right to the block, rather than the alternator bracket. Cut the pipe to the catalytic convertor. You can cap it with a 1/2" copper tube cap and seal it with some hi-temp sealer, either POR 15 or hi-temp silicone. I added a hose clamp for insurance. Disconnect the vacuum lines from the temp sensor and cap the port on the carb. I also fabbed a patch for the hole in the air cleaner. The electrical plug can be disconnected with no ill effects. That's about all I can think of. Here's a shot of my engine with it all removed:

post again if you have any questions.

Bill

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Are you getting rid of the ECM or just the AIR system?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
if you have emission testing you may render your car illegal. the ecm will see the diverter valve missing as an open circuit and may give you a check engine light. unplug the two electrical plugs on the diverter valve after the car is warmed up completely and drive it a few miles to see if the light comes on.the ecm usually wont set a code or light in open loop ( cold operation ). if no light take it off it wont hurt operation but may cause the car to run too lean as the air from the pump is before the o 2 sensor and the ecm may think its now too rich and lean it out to compensate.

·
1,586 Posts
if you have emission testing you may render your car illegal. the ecm will see the diverter valve missing as an open circuit and may give you a check engine light. unplug the two electrical plugs on the diverter valve after the car is warmed up completely and drive it a few miles to see if the light comes on.the ecm usually wont set a code or light in open loop ( cold operation ). if no light take it off it wont hurt operation but may cause the car to run too lean as the air from the pump is before the o 2 sensor and the ecm may think its now too rich and lean it out to compensate.
As the man says "your mileage may vary", but I had no issues whatsoever with a missing AIR system on my '87 305, passing the PA Emission Inspection numerous times, which includes a tailpipe sniffer test. I have access to a GM Tech 1 scanner, so I was able to drive it at length and monitor the operating parameters. No codes and no ill effects on driveability or performance. in the interest of cleanliness, I also removed the EFE valve and wired the butterfly open. It took a bit of fiddling with choke settings to achieve suitable cold-weather performance, but again there were no issues with the computer.

Bill

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
you guys have to remember i am use to ca. smog inspections,very strict limits on emissions and zero disconnections were alowed.overly dirty oil could fail a car in ca.it will depend on your own local laws that apply in your state and county.

·
1,586 Posts
Understood.
That's why I prefaced my post the way I did. We had visual inspection in PA, as well as a tailpipe sniffer, so I patched and smoothed the AIR line holes in my exhaust manifolds, as well as patching the hole in the air cleaner. Eventually, it was old enough for a classic plate and exempt from emission testing, but for the years it had to be inspected it flew under the radar every time.

Bill

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
ca. smogs everything from 76 and up,no exclusions. a real car guy nightmare. thats why im in idaho now no testing where i am at.if you did legal swaps they had to be exactly as the factory made the donor car.you guys with no or limited testing are so lucky you have an open canvas

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i,m in delaware and have it tagged antique so i will not have to deal with emission inspections. thanks everyone for your input !!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts