El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i was look at air bag shocks like these for the front and rear http://www.truckshop.com/product.php?productid=20838 my question is i dont wanna lower my elky i just want a smooth ride so would i need a air tank for these in the front and the rear, if i put these on would i tell a diffrence? if anyone else has some like these do you like them?

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,592 Posts
IMO, the main benefit of an air system is the ability to raise and lower the car at will. If you're not looking to lower your vehicle, but want good ride quality, stock springs with a set of premium shocks, such as KYB or Bilstein is your best bet. I dumped my air shocks last fall for a set of KYB's and I still can't believe how good it rides. I still have stock springs in front with Moog CarGo coils out back.

Bill

·
Registered
39 Posts
Now, don't quote me on this, but I'm fairly sure that all ride tech suspension kits lower the vehicle ride height 1-2inches by design. If set up right and paired with a good set of shocks, air ride can be very smooth. I can't comment on the standard shocks that come with Ride Tech kits as I have always used different shocks. I went with the shock waves on the front so I didn't loose turning radius because of the shock relocation with the cool ride system. Yes I would say that having an on board air system is something that should be installed, tho you don't need anything too fancy, just something to keep air in the bags in case you develop a leak while your out on the road.

But I agree with the others you should be able to achieve a nice ride with good shocks and stock springs. The advantages off the air ride in my mind is adjustability, more load capacity and performance with out sacrificing ride quality.
If you do decide you want to go with air ride I'd be happy to help out with ways to plum up a cheap air system that will do the job for much less then the kits Ridtech sells. Just send me a PM

1 - 4 of 4 Posts