El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I have a brand new! In Europe renovates el Camino 1966th I found that I had negative "caster". Is this normal? If so why?

Thank you so much for your response

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure what your question is. Re-read your post and try to make it more clear. We are happy to help if possible.:texas:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry but I translate in Google Translate. Renovating frame, when I passed the front axle so I found that kingpin caster (caster) is negative, unlike other cars than I know.

I hope you understand me :)

·
Registered
572 Posts
I would say that is NOT NORMAL...I would suggest that you check your front bushes,ball joints,etc,if your able...if not,maybe take it to a suspension shop and get them to look over it for you,..... maybe it just needs a wheel alignment....mine was the same when i got it,but replaced the ball joints,control arm bushes etc and got the wheels aligned,and now ''good as gold''.(aussie saying)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On the Internet I found the following information.

Specs for an 1968 SS396 or El Camino

Caster:
Range: 0 - 1 Positive
Preferred: 1/2 Positive

Camber:
Range: 0 - 1 Positive
Preferred: 1/2 Positive

Toe:
1/8 - 1/4

Non SS Cars

Caster
1 1/2 - 1/2 Negetive
1 Negetive

·
Premium Member
5,894 Posts
A lot of vehicles with manual steering had negative caster specs during that time period.

·
Premium Member
5,894 Posts
If I was aligning it for myself I would shim in all the positive caster I could and still maintain camber within specs. Will help the tracking at higher speeds. With power steering you definitely want all the positive you can get.

·
Premium Member
5,894 Posts
I wasn't saying to go without the power steering. Just that it will drive better as far as "feel" in the steering wheel with more + caster.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for your answer. I just finished frame. Alignment will set in about two years. I need to renovate coat:beer:

·
Premium Member
5,894 Posts
Not sure what you are asking. If the pitman arm is removed from the steering box you will need to center the rotation of the box when you put the pitman back on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts