El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Banned
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With all of the people asking for help decoding their El Camino VIN numbes, I thought it would be helpful if I pointed you in the right direction. There is a VIN decoder right here at ECC. Take a peek at the NECOA VIN Breakdown pages.

NECOA VIN decoding

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks this will help me figure out what motor was originally in my 79 El Camino but now has a 267 motor. I am thinking a 350 motor was in it before so I guess I will see. To bad it is in storage right now so I will have to go and look at the vin.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thank's 87 Elco!There is such a plethra of knowledge on this website I am glad I joined.

·
Registered
49 Posts
WoooHooo! 78 El Camino, 350 engine, made in Fremont, Ca. Now I just have to get DMV to correct the title and registration. They have the "Z" as a "2".

Thanks for the great info!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I checked my '78 and found that the assembly plant codes didn't include my code letter, K, so I am assuming that this was a late '78 model built in Missouri which was included in the list for '79.

·
Registered
4 Posts
vin discrepancy

I have an 84" elky, Vin is 1gccw80h "7" er195338. Decoder says "7" should be an "X" anybody got any ideas what the deal is here? Thanks fellow elkaholics! great web site ! members have some beautiful cars too
tim O

·
Banned
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: vin discrepancy

Hell Camino said:
Decoder says "7" should be an "X" anybody got any ideas what the deal is here?
The "X" only indicates that the digit is arbitrary. It could be any one digit number (1-9). Yours just happened to be a 7.

·
Registered
4 Posts
vin

thanks ernie, I always wondered how that "check digit" worked!! Beautiful El Camino by the way

·
Registered
439 Posts
The check digits is a very complicated formula used to determine a bogus VIN. If you search around the web you will find info on it.

The following algorithm is used for calculating check digits:

1. Each letter is assigned a numeric value.
character A B C D E F G H I
value 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
character J K L M N O P Q R
value 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
character S T U V W X Y Z
value 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

2. Each number or character value is multiplied by the factor for that position.
position 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
factor 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 10 0 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2

3. The resulting products are summed.
4. The total is divided by 11.
5. The check digit is the remainder. If the remainder is 10 then the check digit is X (Roman numeral 10).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I'm new here, I'm thinking of buying a '78 El Camino Conquista. I've found the VIN Breakdown, thanks for the link, but what I was wondering where would one go, if anywhere, to find out where the car has been. I've been told that the car is from an Estate Sale, but am being leery if it came from where floods and hurricanes have occurred. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sweet VIN Table! Can't Find The Build Sheet............

Well...It's A Case Of Look Before You Ask. I Used The VIN Decoding Table,And Found That I Should Have Looked First. I Did Find Out That It Had A 267 In It. (Good Boat Anchor) I Bought This From A Buddy Who Loaned Money Against It, 'Cuz It Had No Rust. I Find Out More About It Every Day. Motor Is 'Sposed To Be New....Is Not. I Have Several Motors. Since It Had A 267, I Doubt It Is On Original SS. Body Tag Has No "Z" Anywhere. Still Cant' Find Build Sheet....Any Suggestions? Thanks For The VIN Table!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Might want to revisit the VIN decoding pages, at least the 64 through 72 sheets. You have plants listed that didn't build El Caminos, sample VINs with those not building El Caminos, and the 1969 model year started sequence numbering with 300,001 and not 100,001.

1964 El Camino assembly plants were Baltimore, Fremont, Kansas City, and Van Nuys/LA.

1965 El Camino assembly plants were Baltimore, Fremont, Kansas City, and Atlanta.

1966 to 1969, only Baltimore, Fremont, and KC were assembling our cars.

1970 & 1971, Van Nuys replaced Fremont but Baltimore & KC continued.

1972 Oshawa was added to Van Nuys, Baltimore, & KC.

Trivia:
Euclid, OH also built 1964 El Camino bodies for delivery to Baltimore & KC and in 1965 for Atlanta & KC and probably Baltimore but I don't have any examples of a trim tag. KC also supplied some of their bodies but most examples I have do have Euclid, OH tags with KC as the destination.

:cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Line Number Question

My last six digits are "141791". Is that line number 41,791, or line number 1791, or 791, etc, etc. According to the vin decoder here there was only a little over 30K produced in 64.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the efforts of the people responsible for this info. There is a lot of work involved.
I have one query. In my V.I.N. there is the number 4 between H and letter G eg: W80H4G. Any ideas.
Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
818 Posts
this thread was helpfull but i still dont know what kind of motor i have im pretty sure it the original 327 but i want to know if its the 250 275 or 300 hp engin

·
Registered
47 Posts
CAR FAX

CAR FAX IS BOGUS ! I bought a used 4 year old F150 4X4 from a local Dodge {em} dealer. . . . As I had a lot of initial problems with it, I checked it out on Car Fax. . . They told me the vehicle had a clean record. . . . I knew it was in at least one pretty bad wreck as the front suspension had replacement stickers still on the replaced parts. . . And possibly was sitting on a different frame. . . . The truck body was like new but the undercarriage looked like it was an antique truck. . . . When I complained to Car Fax, they refunded my money {after a long wait }. . . They aren't a reliable source for making prepurchase decisions ! Barry-Maryland

1 - 20 of 69 Posts