El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking my wiring today and noticed the 2 nuts were loose on the back of the alternator (the one that says BATT on it).
So I put the wrench to it and after tightening it a couple of turns got a big spark! So I figured I must have brushed against the alternator bracket with my wrench, so with great care not to touch anything, I continue.
Then, it got ugly........... all of a sudden the wire is arcing, sparks are flying, smoke is starting to come from several wires that are now melting, including the little wire that is attached to the positive wire, the one that goes to the starter, so at first I tried to loosen the nut I was tightening, then I could see it was useless as acrid smoke is now beggining to form and I am scared, this thing is spreading fast and I know I have to cut the source of power ( yeah I know I should have disconnected the battery BEFORE doing this!! :banghead:
Got the battery disconnected before going for the fire extinguisher I have nearby!
Didn't need the fire extinguisher after all.
So now I have pulled the alternator, it smells fried. My problem is in how to replace the burned wires.
The regulator is ok, the wires going to it seem ok.
All of the wires that connect to the alternator, as well as the little wire attached to the positive battery/starter wire are fried.
Does anyone know where I can find a harness to replace this damage?
I have checked NPD and Groundup catalogs, they don't seem to have anything.
Your suggestions/advice are always appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
I'm sure you've heard:
There are those who have screwed-up, those that will screw-up, and those that lie about it.

Can't help with the harness, but just a thought that you have an opportunity through your misfortune. If you are going into the harness anyway, you may consider using this time to upgrade your wiring and improve the design. This is the area that has to be upgraded to give more accessory handling capability, provide better supply to headlights, etc.

I'm a big Mad fan.
http://www.madelectrical.com/

Just trying to help you find that silver lining.

Take care.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
wiring

Yikes, that has to suck. The two wiring outfits that come to mind are, Painless and American Autowire. Not sure about Painless, my guess would be painless.com. The other one is americanautowire.com as I am looking at their ad in Chevy Hi Pref. mag.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts