El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on the TC board also.....but sinc this is Elky related. Since I have owned my Elky (4 years now) my dash and headlights (probably my whole electrical system) flickers!!! They (the lights) don't go on and off they flicker from dim the brite. I even tried a different altenator and regulator...still does it. The only reason it is bothering me lately is that it seems to be getting worse. The tach is twitching a little also. The motor is grounded to the neg. side of the battery. So I don't think it is a ground problem. HELP!!!
Thanx
Brian[/b]

·
Registered
47 Posts
my main feeder to my fuse block(#2 red) burned off at the block.

To check this you could run a #8 gauge jumper wire with a 40 amp fuse from the positive terminal of your battery to your #2 cicuit. Attach somewhere past the fuseblock just to see if the problem goes away. I'd have to check my diagram but I think #2 also feeds the light switch.

of course different years might have different circuit numbers.

What year do you own? I have a wiring diagram for a 1978 somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
>The motor is grounded to the neg. side of the battery<

You also need the ground lead from the battery neg to the body, and the ground strap on the backside of the engine to the body.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well, that's twice you swapped the regulator and once on the alternator. Again buy or borrow a meter and start with some measurements. If you don't all you will get is a pack of guesses. Not trying to be hard but that's the proper way to troubleshoot a problem. BTW. an externally regulated alternator is a CS alternator. Switching to a 12 SI won't fix the problem unless it's an alternator problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found the problem.....it turned out to be a bad connection from my main hot (for the ignition). It is wired to a switch that triggers my MSD box. There was enough power going thru it to show up with a test light ...but not enough to fire the spark. I started checking some connections after the car shut itself off and would not start. I had NO SPARK...that is when I moved the main hot to the MSD...then it started. I rewired it. Drove it today with NO PROBLEMS!!!! I also moved aone of the ground cables from block to frame. The flickering lights are gone as well.

And John, as far as your comment on the 12SI altenator....I take it you saw my post on the TC tech page???? I am looking to put THAT alternator set up on my CHEVELLE...NOT MY ELKY!!!!
Brian

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yep. saw it. Glad you have your first problem fixed. Didn't sound like a regulator problem. You still may not need the 12 SI for what you are doing. The 10SI may do it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like I said John....I am looking to upgrade the charging system in myCHEVELLE....not my Elky. I have the battery in the trunk and run electric fans, fuel pump, etc. I need more amp output. That is why I am looking at installing a 12SI int. reg. Altenator.
Brian

·
Registered
221 Posts
No arguement but this is the first mention of electric fans. There's a thought out there, not saying you, that the bigger the alternator the better. If one doesn't need 140++ amps, one shouldn't go and put a 12SI in. An alternator should be sized for what is needed. Besides all that, the 10SIs are so much cheaper.

·
Registered
88 Posts
ive been having alternator trouble too, bought my '84 conquista with a dead alternator, and after installing the new one, i had trouble because the charge wire burned off. I'm still working on mine the charge wire problem is running on a quick fix i need to replace the contact.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts