El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fam I have a 71' elco and sometimes it just won't start like the carborator wont even turn on when I turn the ignition... I switched out my battery to a red top so that for sure isn't the problem... So I was told that it was my alternator... Until I did some test like rev it while it's on and see if my headlights dim or brighten up... And even took out the negative wire on the battery while it's running and it still runs...I need help !

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
if it stays running when the batt cable is off it is chargeing but still could be bad.can you be a little more clear as to the exact issue

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking it was my new stereo system... Sometimes it cranks no fire sometimes there's no crank at all... In order for it to work I take out the positive wire of the battery and put it right back on then when I turn on the car everything is on... Then everything either just shuts off or my car starts.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
as above you got some crappy connection somewhere.clean and tighten all of your cables.and go from there

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
T'ain't carburator, t'wain't alternator, 'tis bad battery connections, or a loose/bad ground (equates the same). As dun recommended, take the battery connections loose, clean the inside of the connectors with sandpaper/battery brush for such purposes, clean with denatured alcohol/other solvent, reconnect the cables, and SHAMMO, it works!!:poke:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts