El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told that it is a good idea to change my alternator to one with an internal regulator for my 67 Elky. Has anyone used these and is there anything special you need to know about hooking them up.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
they are pretty simple to do, the wire on your old regulator for the gen light will hook up to the small wire on the 2 wire alt plug from the internal reg alt .the large 10 gauge wire in the plug will go directly to the alt output lug as well as the factory charge wireand it should be done. i dont remember the color of the wire from your regulator plug to use .but with the key on if you ground it it have the gen gen light on and when you supply pos to it it should go off with the key on

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
To get you r external regulator out of the picture and to be able to use the same wiring you will need to A. Change the 2 wire alternator plug to the newer type. (available at the parts house) B. Disconnect the original regulator. for looks you can cut the 4 wire terminal off and connect the wires. Remember there are 4 wires in the original reg connector. Connect the 1st one from either end to the third one. Repeat for the other two wires. I always solder and heat shrink these critical connections. The new alternator should excite and the light in the dash work properly. It is then easy to fold the wires down and tape them into the harness and they just go away appearance wise.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alternator w/internal rregulator

Thanks for the info. That is very helpful. I assume they work better than the stand alone regulator and alternator. I will give it a try.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts