El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My conversion to a serpentine belt drive is almost complete, but I forgot 1 thing, the alternator wiring. The serpentine drive system I am using is off of a 95 S-10 with a 4.3 V6, everything is bolting up great, but I think the alternator is controlled by the computer, because it only has 1 small wire coming out of the same place my old V-belt one has 2. Can I rig the 95 to work with my 78 El Camino doing the old Chevy 1 wire charging trick, or do I need another alternator, and if so, off of what make , year, and model car do I need that will bolt in it's place. Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
There are two types of alternators. One is a one wire, and the other is a three wire. It appears you have a one wire, and that goes to the battery to keep it charged. That's ASSUMING it comes off a post at the top/back of the alternator. A three wire has that post, plus a place for a plastic connector with two spades in the alternator. One spade (red) goes to the post, and the other - I don't remember where.

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
If you have the connector from the donor vehicle that plugs in to the alternator, connect that single wire the brown wire from your old two wire plug. Tape the other old wire out of the way. The large red wire of course bolts to the lug on the back side of the alternator.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to make sure that I am clear on this, the new alternator has 1 brown "control" wire, and the large post that hooks up to the battery. The old alternator has 2 "control' wires a red and a brown, plus the large post that goes to the battery. So I hook the single brown wire from the newer (95) alternator, to the brown of the 78 wiring harness, and do away with the red wire that is in the 2 wire plug, is this correct?

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
I can tell you how mine is hooked up. You have a three wire alternator, and the red wire is connected to the post that, in turn, goes to the battery. I believe this is the "exciter" wire that kicks the alternator into charging right away, rather than waiting for RPM to build up.

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
Just to make sure that I am clear on this, the new alternator has 1 brown "control" wire, and the large post that hooks up to the battery. The old alternator has 2 "control' wires a red and a brown, plus the large post that goes to the battery. So I hook the single brown wire from the newer (95) alternator, to the brown of the 78 wiring harness, and do away with the red wire that is in the 2 wire plug, is this correct?
Correct.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts