El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I tried to use the search bar b4 i came here but didnt find what i wanted. what is the difference between the 2? Are the straight plugs the stock setup? I guess Im looking for what has better access with headers or what would be the better option....:dontknow:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
some say angle plug heads deliver more power because of the spark plug placement more towards the center of the combustion chamber,,,,any difference in power between 2 identical engines on the street would be minimal at best in my opinion,,,,also beware if running angle plug heads not all headders fit they need to be for angle plug heads,,,, something else for the wallet to think about:beer:

·
932 Posts
I once bought a set of aluminum heads with angled plugs (edelbrock performer), I will never make that mistake again ,it was an expensive lesson . For the small hp gain (minimal at best) you pay for it in both money and irritation . Some of the headers that are made for angled plugs still do not have enough clearance even with accel shorty plugs . I had to dimple a couple spots on a $400 set of ceramic coated headers to get my plug wires on . In the end I sold the heads and went back to straight plugs , after this ordeal I heard from lots of people about similar stories . Angle plug heads are only good for the guys at racetracks that are running specially made headers , I heard that a couple other makers of heads work better but I wouldn't even try them unless they were given to me .

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Unless you are racing, and "Indexing" the plugs (with special washers) so that the ground electrode is un-shrouded in the direction of the angle toward the optimal firing position, then you have defeated the purpose anyway...You would need to make sure that the piston dome on raised pistons is optimised for the angle plugs...or nothing good happens...

All of this is more important at Higher RPM (6,000+) as the actual Time for "Flame Propagation" across the piston is getting dangerously slow...Given the amount of Oxygen and combustion chamber Temp, Gas burns at a fixed rate...So at high RPM you need to angle & index the plug to give the flame travel and burn all the fuel to build power...Below the 6000 RPM you will not know the difference!

If you have them...Run them, but don't spend extra $$$ to do it on the street.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
My ZZ4 has aluminum heads(L98) with angled plugs. No problem at all. Plenty of room for plug socket between plugs and my Hookers.

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
head difference

My ZZ4 has aluminum heads(L98) with angled plugs. No problem at all. Plenty of room for plug socket between plugs and my Hookers.
the heads you refer to are cast specific for that,,, not all have the quality of g,m,:beer: smoke em if ya got em:texas:

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
angle vs

X2 on the ZZ4 aluminum heads and Hooker headers.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guy. As a group I hope we can figure out anything that comes our way especially since we have 21,000 + members.:You_Rock:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts