El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I am just joining the forum. I will be starting a member journal to detail this project. I inherited the car in 2015 from my father-in-law and have been slowly moving forward with some projects.

It will take some time to post some picks and projects but I hope to share those while learnign from others as well.

You can follow my project modz page here: 1970 El Camino 350 Daily Driver Project - Lots of modern Modz...

Cheers,
Scott

·
Premium Member
7,971 Posts
Hi scott, welcome from Idaho. Glad you've joined us. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on your 70 El Camino. Enjoy your 70 and the community.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Major Engine Compartment Upgrades​

Ok, I am all-in. I put in a little work already, but the real work is still to come. I have a lengthy 5 day stretch of days off from work over the 4th of July weekend and I hope to get most of this work completed.

I’ll start off with a description of the work and parts then I will showcase some photo descriptions.

Engine Upgrades: I decided to go all-in here. I’m not doing any major performance upgrades or breaking open the motor, but all the components are old and I thought this would be a good time to refresh the motor, replace components and dress-up the engine compartment. Chrome is okay, but the future color scheme for this car is to have a dove gray body with black accents. I also want a blacked-out dress-up kit under the hood. Since the motor will be mostly disassembled, this was a really good time to pull the inner fender skirts and replace the blower motor and get everything scrubbed and painted with a fresh coat of satin black paint.

• Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 XT fuel injection system – FiTech has been fired!
  • Comes with new distributor and I will keep the MSD AL6 Ignition box
  • MSD Blaster 2 coil
  • Edelbrock Racing Black valve covers with matching breather
  • Spectre Muscle Car Air intake – Comes in aluminum, but I plan to paint the tube satin black.
  • Summit Racing Mid-mount serpentine kit – Black
  • Powermaster Alternator 150 amps – This will add much needed power to the sound system.
  • Summit Racing smooth body iron water pump – black
  • Tuff Stuff Saginaw Power Steering pump – black
  • Lee 12.7:1 gear box and rag joint – I am really excited about this upgrade to improve steering.
  • Timing cover and PWR Harmonic balancer – black
  • SC&C Full suspension Touring package – The rear upgrades were already done, minus the Hellwig sway bar. This kit includes springs, upper control arm, geometry correction ball joints, shocks and some suspension arms. I am really looking forward to this handling upgrade too.
  • Baer Track 4 13” Disc Brake conversion kit

So, far I got the motor stripped, I was able to repaint the front of the block Chevy orange and pulled the inner fenders for a scrub and paint. I am still awaiting some parts and need to paint the engine compartment, then I can proceed with the suspension upgrade then motor dressing and assembly.

Engine Compartment Upgrades-1 Here is a photo before I started the strip down process.

Engine Compartment Upgrades-2 Fitech, distributor and major components (water pump, alternator and power steering pump have been removed

Engine Compartment Upgrades-3 This was the part of the block that needed paint the most. I decided not to paint the sides, due to the work involved to remove the hedders.

Engine Compartment Upgrades-4 Pulled the harmonic balancer and timing cover. Gave a quick VHT Chevy Orange paint to the front part of the block only. I taped the intake area and water pump holes. I planned to trash the valve covers so I left them in place to protect the valves and just let the overspray hit the covers.

Engine Compartment Upgrades-7 Black components going on. Added the timing cover, pointer, harmonic balancer and the main crank serpentine pulleys.

Engine Compartment Upgrades-8 There are a few parts on the motor that I really like and did not see the point of replacing it. But, I did want to refresh them. So, this was an easy project. I pulled the wire holders and rubbed all the chrome with a scotch brite pad. I did not work too hard on this. I just took off the chrome brightness. I also tried steel wool, but it did not work as well as scotch brite.

Engine Compartment Upgrades-8.5 I added a VHT black wrinkle paint. I added this to the fuel pump delete cover and it looked great. But, I found the paint to be finicky and did not look as good on this piece or a couple small trim pieces. So, I painted the satin black on top and decided not to use the wrinkly paint on any other items.

Engine Compartment Upgrades-9 Here is a look at the engine bay with the inner fenders pulled. There should be lots of room to work on the suspension and brakes.

Engine Compartment Upgrades-11 I sprayed the underside of the inner fenders with undercoating and the top side got a coat of satin black.

Engine Compartment Upgrades-12 With the inner fender off I can access the blower and you can see the delete box. I need to pull off the FiTech sump holder and I plan to place the coil here. The benefit to this mod is that I only have to patch one set of holes since the coil holder fits perfectly on the existing hole pattern.

That is all for this update. A lot of work lies ahed.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
:geek: Welcome Scott, Glad you found us.
Have fun and enjoy NECOA. Good luck
with your project, Looks like a lot of work.
From Nick & Don
Grove City, Ohio..:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts