El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is kinda funny... well, it'd be funnier if you could see my car, but anyways. So I pull up to the corner store and get out, this guy asks if I'd ever thought of selling it. I told him I just bought it and we bs'ed a little. Thought it was kinda funny... this is the 4th time someone's asked about buying the car, and I've only had it 3 months. Seriously, it's barely nice enough to call a beater.

I guess these cars are getting more popular. I even get compliments from girls about the car. Seems that more girls like the elco than the supra, and the supra had a targa top...

Oh well, I'm not complaining.

-Dean

·
Registered
224 Posts
8) Its always nice to get compliments on your car...

Kinda funny though- this reminded me, back when I had my old 69(4 years ago), it was kind of a pile when i first got it- and just about everytime i'd stop for gas, i'd get an offer to buy it(always a fraction of its value)- But as I slowly got it put back together and cleaned up- the offers stopped. I would still get compliments on it, but people stopped asking if i'd sell it.

I think with the elky it was because at the beginning people would ask about it hoping to get the car for nothing- but once it started looking decent people assumed they couldn't get it cheap, so they wouldn't ask anymore.

I also had a 68 Oldsmobile 88 COnvertible- big boat, had lots of bondo and a rough body, but it had a 455 in it and it ran good... Used to get asked all the time if i would sell it- I would always tell people $3k(did finnaly sell it for $4k after i redid the interior)- which was a good price for a running big block convert- but most would just walk away.. Everyone wants something for nothing.

Every now and then I'll get someone who will ask if i'll sell my 70 elky... I ask them to tell me what they think its worth.. Allows me the luxury of laughing at all the stupid offers. ;)

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
I get approached every other week...Mine's no beauty but she runs good. The last one was the emissions guy! I would agree that later generation El Camino's are becomming very collectable...

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
I get compliments and "thumbs up" several times a week. I even get questions about where people might find an Elky for sale, but few ask if I'd sell mine. I believe it's because they see it is show quality and they assume they can't afford the price. I've even got guys from the Corvette club I'm in, asking where they can find an Elky to be used as a "parts chaser." In my opinion, all generations of Elkys are becoming more sought after. Some want the 5th generation Elky/GMC because it has the most recent driving amenities and many feel it can more comfortably be used as both their "classic" car and a daily driver. I'd still love to have one of each generation, but the spouse isn't buying that idea. I'm currently looking for a decent '59, so I'll own the first and last year El Camino.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've only had one person knock on the door and ask about mine. When you see my garage from the street with all my tools and toys inside it's pretty obvious it would be a waste of time to ask. Never even bothered to discuss price with the guy. I just said I bought it new and plan to keep it forever. My wife chimed in "yeah he'll be buried in it". :lol:
When I take it out for a drive that's another story. Lot's of people ask especially when it's idling and they hear the rumpty rump of a mild cam with turbo mufflers. It seem like enquiries have gotten much more frequent the last two years though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
love'm or hate'm they just look different. while everyone else is driving around in a cookie cutter ride, we have out of the ordinary. gotta luv being odd.

·
Banned
881 Posts
Once while I was at the AAA getting a map, out of the clear blue, the girl behind the counter asked me if I'd sell her my 79 Elky. When I told her I wasn't ready to sell it she jotted her name and home phone number on a piece of paper and told me to call her when I was ready to sell it. I told her OK but as soon as I left the AAA office I threw it away. Boy, if my wife found that paper, I don't think she'd have believed my reason for having another womans phone number.

I usually get a wave or a thumbs up when I take the 87 out for a drive.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah, wives are funny that way about womens names and phone numbers. "Nah, really honey, it was for the car. I could never think about another woman. Gosh, not while I have you....."
I couldn't part with mine yet, knowing all of the misery and pain that I've endured so far. It just wouldn't be right. And I wouldn't get rid of my elCamino either!

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
1968elCamino said:
I couldn't part with mine yet, knowing all of the misery and pain that I've endured so far. It just wouldn't be right. And I wouldn't get rid of my elCamino either!
Yeah, what he said :roll:

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
Mizer said:
love'm or hate'm they just look different. while everyone else is driving around in a cookie cutter ride, we have out of the ordinary. gotta luv being odd.
I love pushin the envelope!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
being different

Yeah, it's pretty cool to drive a car that actually has some character. I don't think I'll ever buy a brand new car, or even a car built after 1973 for that matter (unless there's a Grand National or something special for a good price). I like cars that were designed by real people, not computer programs and wind tunnel data. I pretty much stumbled into the El Camino... I always thought they were pretty cool cars, especially the 66-72's, but I never thought I'd have one. The original plan was to fix it up a bit and then sell it, but I bet that by the time it's fixed up and all, I'll be too attached or I'll want to drive it and reap the benefits of all the work that will have gone into it.

-Dean

P.S. I'll retract that statement about not buying a car built after 73 if/when Ford releases that new Mustang, the concept looks good... Not that I'll run out and buy one right now, but maybe in a few years when used ones are affordable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have owned my Camino a little over 4 years, and for the last 3 of those it has sat behind my parents house because I am stationed in Japan. When I first got it I got alot of compliments but no offers to buy it. Now that it has sat throught 3 Pennsylvania winters my Dad has had half a dozen or so people stop in or call wanting to buy it. He always knows the answer, but still calls me eveytime to see if I changed my mind. I had my eye on this camino my entire life until my uncle finally put a For Sale sign in the window, and I ain't giving it up now.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I feel special in my El Camino. Like so many have pointed out they are unique. :cool: I have 3rd, 4th and a fifth gens. I like them all very much and at one point or another I've also had offers for them.

The thing is, they are mine, part of my family now. As it turned out the years of these truck, not the years that I got them but the model years have a significant importance to me. in 80 I was just getting out of the Military. The 72 and 76 likewise, I had significant events happen that made a impact on me during those years also.

They were not nice cars when I got any of them. All needed a lot of work, engines, transmissions etc... But now... They are mine. Look but don't touch.

We are NECOA over a thousand strong and growing!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Re: being different

deangod said:
Yeah, it's pretty cool to drive a car that actually has some character. I don't think I'll ever buy a brand new car, or even a car built after 1973 for that matter (unless there's a Grand National or something special for a good price). I like cars that were designed by real people, not computer programs and wind tunnel data. I pretty much stumbled into the El Camino... I always thought they were pretty cool cars, especially the 66-72's, but I never thought I'd have one. The original plan was to fix it up a bit and then sell it, but I bet that by the time it's fixed up and all, I'll be too attached or I'll want to drive it and reap the benefits of all the work that will have gone into it.

-Dean

P.S. I'll retract that statement about not buying a car built after 73 if/when Ford releases that new Mustang, the concept looks good... Not that I'll run out and buy one right now, but maybe in a few years when used ones are affordable.
I agree with you completely on the post 70's cars...mine goes to 79 only because of that being tha last year Elky you could get with a 350 (I know the diesel 350 lived on, but who wants it?)

As for other cars that will someday populate the driveway, nothing after 1977 will ever see the garage. I am planning on either a 73 Z/28 or 73-77 T/A next, but it's going to be awhile.

I do like the looks of the new "Stang", but I'd never buy one. New cars are way to expensive to buy and insure. I'd rather have the old one they patterned it after...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just about every time we leave the house we get comments about the car. Every week or so we get a question about how much we'd sell it for. I told Jana to tell them $20k every time. The people that ask us are in no way serious about buying the car and we know that, so the $20k answer always ends the conversation. That's what the receipts I have add up....many years of parts and the sales price of the car to me.

Is it worth that much? No!

Is it fun to tell people $20k and watch the reaction? Yes!

You never know....someday someone might shell it out on the spot....probably the day after we win the lotto! 8O

1 - 17 of 17 Posts