El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay well i have a '79 caballero and i want to put a new radio in it. I plan on getting just a am fm and cd radio that is sattelite ready, and then getting the tuner to get sattelite.

But i have a problem, im not sure if its my antenna or my radio, but my current one gets very bad reception and is full of static . Will i need a new antenna? My antenna is in my windshield, and i would rather not have to mount one. Is there a way to hide it?

Also, what is the best way to run wires and cables into the cab from the outside?
i need to run my cb antenna (magnet mount) cable in and eventually the magnetic sattelite radio wire

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Some of the bad reception could be the radio. Check with the seller of the new radio to see if the windshield antenna will be adequate. I have a Sony in mine, windshield antenna works fine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you have an AM/FM radio hooked up now, check the AM band and see how the reception is. If AM works fine then it's the FM tuner in the radio that has problems.
If it's a windshield antenna, check the connection at the base of the windshield and if needed do a continuity check on the lead in cable.

As far as the satellite antenna, try placing it on top of the dash close to the windshield and see how the reception is. Sometimes this works just fine. If it works then clean a spot on the dash to remove and oils and such and then use a small pice of double sided tape to hold it in position. The small cable can then be run around the edge of the dash, down the side and then up and under the dash to the radio.

As far as holes to get cables outside, maybe put them in the floor to help prevent water from getting into the interior and then after the wires or cables are passed through a grommet in the metal hole, seal it up with either 3M rope caulk or silicone.

If you have to place a mast antenna outside the car they used to sell triway antenna's that worked for AM, FM, and CB use. If you use one of these, if they are even still out there, you would only have one antenna sticking up. They also used to sell them in a fully automatic power style. Turn on the radio or CB and the antenna automatically went up.

Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts