El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, So when i got my elky it didnt have an antenna and still doesent, So its time to get one,
I know like autozone has universal GM antennas , Is that what I should get or try to get a real el camino antenna ? And how hard is the install ??

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Ok, So when i got my elky it didnt have an antenna and still doesent, So its time to get one,
I know like autozone has universal GM antennas , Is that what I should get or try to get a real el camino antenna ? And how hard is the install ??
Just get one at auto zone then go to youtube for installation.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
If it was me, I'm kinda anal about stuff like that. I'd find a camino thats being parted out and get that one...
Easy enough to install

·
Registered
479 Posts
Your antenna should be inside your windshield. It's two thin wires that run up the center and split out to the sides at the top. You can buy new glass with or without the antenna, so you might not have it if the windshield has been replaced at some point.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
my 86 also has the windshield antana,i like it better,no antana outside a much cleaner look

·
Registered
320 Posts
My 5th gen has an automatic rising and falling one on the passenger side fender... goes up when radio comes on. Is this not stock?

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
One of mine had a Y connection, it used both the ones on the fender & in the windshield!!!:nanawrench:
Donny

·
Registered
89 Posts
If your car doesn't have the in-glass antenna and there's no hole in the fender for one, you might be satisfied with the performance of a hidden antenna that you can mount under the dash. If they don't have this at the auto parts store, they also carry them at marine supply stores as they are used in boats with 12v radios. I used to have one of these kits in my '82, and it worked fine with the stock radio. This would require no modification.

If you do have a hole in the fender, my experience has been that because of the position of the hole in relation to the body lines of the front fender, the universal ones don't fit right and tend to sit a bit crooked. I would recommend picking up an used antenna that was meant for a g-body.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If your car doesn't have the in-glass antenna and there's no hole in the fender for one, you might be satisfied with the performance of a hidden antenna that you can mount under the dash. If they don't have this at the auto parts store, they also carry them at marine supply stores as they are used in boats with 12v radios. I used to have one of these kits in my '82, and it worked fine with the stock radio. This would require no modification.

If you do have a hole in the fender, my experience has been that because of the position of the hole in relation to the body lines of the front fender, the universal ones don't fit right and tend to sit a bit crooked. I would recommend picking up an used antenna that was meant for a g-body.

Will a hidden antenna work with a aftermarket jvc ?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Will a hidden antenna work with a aftermarket jvc ?
Perfectly, they all use the same size, so no adapter needed. Mine worked with both my stock radio, and the Pioneer unit I installed later. The reception isn't quite as good as an external antenna, but I only noticed it on stations that were marginal anyway.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just installed a hidden antenna in my '71, and it works great. The cruck came with the fender hole, but we filled it in during the rest of the body work so it would clean up the lines a little better.

HERE is the one I used. It easily hides under the dash, and it works better than my original. I would stay away from the black boxes (about 1" X 1" X 6") that you can install on an A-Pillar. They generally under-perform.

Good luck!

-Steffen

1 - 12 of 12 Posts