El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm dont think my radio antenna is correct, can someone tell me if it is or not. I looked on Ecklers and they sell a screw in type mast and antenna nut for 84. So if these items are correct, what does it screw into. They sell an antenna lead wire which just states it is "original AC delco part" "for use with antenna in windshield: Windshield? mine is on the RH fender. Thanks if someone can help.

Attachments

·
Registered
575 Posts
Interesting look! Is yours telescopic meaning it has multiple tubes rather than just one solid piece? The ones I've seen on my 87 as well as from an 84 are single mast, do not extend/telescope, and screw into a base. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I thought mine looks aftermarket, think originals was a single mast Would like to make mine correct and like the single mast. But not sure if ecklers do the fender mounting wire to radio? And hope a previous owner hasn't drilled a larger hole in fender.
Thanks for yr reply

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Mines an 85 with a 79 front clip. I shortened the antenna by about 8" and still get great reception. I put the protected ant. in a vise and knocked the ball off with a pair of pliers and a hammer. Put a piece of tape on the ball so you don't lose it. Then cut the shaft and tapered it a bit and put the ball back on with Loctite it's been since 2012 no problems! 1st. pic is the long ant. last 2 short. I think it looks better IMHO! :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yours is definitely aftermarket. The base looks identical to the universal non-telescoping one I put on mine from Oreilly's.

·
Registered
155 Posts
This is a stock mounting, non telescoping, on my 1984.
I have seen the masts and the black rubber piece available but not the actual mount.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
And here it is cheaper!

P.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mines an 85 with a 79 front clip. I shortened the antenna by about 8" and still get great reception. I put the protected ant. in a vise and knocked the ball off with a pair of pliers and a hammer. Put a piece of tape on the ball so you don't lose it. Then cut the shaft and tapered it a bit and put the ball back on with Loctite it's been since 2012 no problems! 1st. pic is the long ant. last 2 short. I think it looks better IMHO! :cool:
love the colour, stripe wheel combination on you car, looks perfect.
thanks for the pictures, yup that the antenna I need. Ecklers do the mast and nut. So I guess I now need to find the chrome bezel that goes below the nut, and find out the other inner fender bracket and wire that the mast attaches to.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And here it is cheaper!

P.
Its not perfect, but really close for a repro, and its a load lot better than what I have, thank so much. I have a big hole in the back of my RHS inner guard, have a second hand replacement coming, so it perfect time to access that old antenna and bin it.
thanks for your help

1 - 11 of 11 Posts