El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone who has seen / knows of, a 1988 Camino still on the road, or any survive? In my life I have only seen two. Years ago there was a white super clean '88 GMC Caballero for sale in Concord, N.C., and the owner of a mechanic repair shop in Northville, N.Y. had an '88 black Conquista package. - George :???:

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,689 Posts
:secret: :secret: :secret: :secret:

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
The last Caballero I saw was a 1992 model with a cordova roof! I think the last one was made in 1996 somewhere in China.

:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::secret::secret::secret::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:dontknow: OK,.. wait a minute. Obviously we've been there before? The general consensus is that any '88's were listed as 1987? The GM ID book says, "late production models prior to July '87 during the change over to '88, these models were titled as 1988, but all sources include them in the actual 1987 stat. totals". Please enlighten me,... Anyone seen an actual title that is printed 1988? - George

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Hey, George.. this topic was beaten to death a few months ago.I don't remember the title of the post to help you search it out. There was quite a lot of opinions and comments.Forgive my post, I just couldn't control myself! I believe your assumption is correct. The guys that posted about this were adament that there is no such thing as a 88 El Camino...just sayin

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK,.. got it

Het, George.. this topic was beaten to death a few months ago.I don't remember the title of the post to help you search it out. There was quite a lot of opinions and comments.Forgive my post, I just couldn't control myself! I believe your assumption is correct. The guys that posted about this were adament that there is no such thing as a 88 El Camino...just sayin
James, OK,.. got it. But in the mid 90's a white '88 was for sale in Concord, NC that advertised as an actual 1988 Camino, 'last one of it's kind'. I sent a friend of mine to inspect it, and it was sold & gone shortly before he got there. Who knows,.. the inquiry remains I guess --- George :smileyb:

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
I put in a request to the GM Heritage center this morning on behalf of the club for any info they could possibly provide. I'll forward their response if I get one.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
George, there were guys on both sides of the argument. It seemed to me that the guys that claimed 87 to be the last year won the argument.I am not up to speed on the subject. There were a few who swore they have seen 88's. Go figure!!
:dontknow:

·
2,566 Posts
Well in 88 they still made Monte Carlos, and Cutlass'. I know 87 was the last Grand Prix, not sure about Regal, But I think Grand Nationals and GNX were still made in 88.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank You Bobby,

I put in a request to the GM Heritage center this morning on behalf of the club for any info they could possibly provide. I'll forward their response if I get one.
Bobby, Thank You, we appreciate it. Please let me know specifically, 'cause I own an '87 with the last production #'s being in the last hundreds manufactured. Perhaps mine could be an '88? Whoa,.. whole new arena of thinking here,..::: - George :twisted:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
James, I believe the guys who have seen an '88. The white '88 Camino was for sale by a popular, highly recognized Classic Car Dealer. I doubt they'd falsely advertise such a sale and jeopardize their reputation. See what happens with Bobby's inquiry, I might actually own a 1988 model??? George

·
2,566 Posts
George
What's the build date on yours?

·
2,566 Posts
George I would think 2/87 is real far from the 88 model year. You said it's in the last few hundred. What's the last VIN?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bobby, Actually presuming it might be an '88 was merely for 'craps ~n giggles'. I'm sure mine is an '87. Last 6 in the Vin are 910151 - George

·
2,566 Posts
Yeah but you said it was among the last few hundred. So what was the last 87 VIN?

·
IROC-S Pace Car #001
681 Posts
I've never added my .02 on one of these 1988 debates prior to this, but the way I see it if 740 El Caminos and Cabelleros were titled as 1988 models (as some sources suggest), we would have found evidence (aka a title) proving so by now. If we can locate 7 of the 15 IROC-S El Caminos, I find it very hard to believe that we can't find any of the alledged 740 1988 models. There are currently over 21,000 registered members on elcaminocentral and no one has claimed they own a 1988 model. I personally think that's because they don't exist.

Just as a comparison: The Pontiac Aztek was produced from 2001 to 2005, but it took Pontiac until 2007 to sell all of the '05 leftovers. Even in 2007 the Azteks were sold and titled as '05 models.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts