El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered a few things yesterday - one of which is a new top part of the dash.

Does anyone have any advice to make it a bit easier?

Being as I am not as flexible as I used to be - things to know would be a big help.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,550 Posts
And put in good dash speakers before you change it, (ask me how I know!!:let_it_all_out:)
Donny

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This needs to be glued in ... How long could it take a not so experienced guy to pull the dash out and back in?
Expect trying to dodge summer time afternoon rains.

Does the surface need to be prepared? This one must have been sitting a long time - when it was registered this time that was the first in at least a couple years. There is still a coating of what probably could be called "DEAD SKIN".

It's the discolored burgundy that when you scratch it it shows a more accurate color under it. (if that makes enough sense)

SPEAKER? Does the speaker watt need to be matched to the radio that is powering it?
Does a less than good radio sound okay on good speakers?

Thanks for all the input!

·
Premium Member
12,550 Posts
I would soap and wash it as best you can. As for the speakers once you've installed some dash you can't get to them anymore, so if you ever plan on upgrading now is the time to do it.
Donny

·
Supporting Member
4,525 Posts
Dash will take about an hour to remove the first time you do it. Quicker as you get experience. Do a search here- there are several threads with precise how-to's on the dash removal. Check the fit around the dash pod and the glove box. Might have to do a little grinding with a Dremel tool to get a good fit. Glue around the edges only. Have lots of c-clamps, spring clamps, etc. Do a trial fit and test placing the clamps.

Oh, very important. Paint the old dash with the new color around the dash vents and all openings. Otherwise, you might see a peek of the old dash at the openings when the new dash is installed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts