El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here. Have been perusing ECC for a few months and learned a lot. You guys are great.

I have an '85 SS Choo Choo recently purchased with a 350 low torque truck engine (<300 hp) that is about 12-15 years old. I'd like to upgrade the engine and have been looking at Smeding 383's. I've read a lot of good things about Smeding on other forums. Does anyone here have any experience with them? Carb is a 4 barrel. Any thoughts on changing to EFI to make it programmable? I'm not looking to street race etc, just do the car justice with respectable fun power.

Transmission is a Turbo 350 with 3.73 rear gears. I'd like to keep the torque between 400-500 for the sake of the tranny. Trying to keep budget under $6k

Another idea I had was to purchase a late model Caprice (Police cruiser) at auction and completely transfer the drive train (engine/trans/rear end) over if it all fits. Anyone have experience with that 6 year project :-D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Old Goat and 78 Elk!

Wooooo I like what I see on the Blueprint site. Reading their "about us" page - over 200k engines built?!! Nice. Thanks Dieselhead.

Agree J Wireman. A 2.5 year warranty is solid. Smeding used to offer 3 year warranty but they backed it down to 2 year.

This will be my first foray into serious engine work. Any thoughts on a forged vs cast components?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
:Welcome!: from Yuma AZ!
I was actually considering a Blueprint Engines brand new casting 400 sbc for my '68 Camaro......but I'm torn between it and a GMPP ZZ502. IMO.....if your mostly street driven and don't plan to boost it....your wasting money on forged internals. I'm sure others will disagree

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Howdy Kat...no plans on boosting at this point. Just keeping it simple. This car isn't a daily driver, mainly a weekend cruiser. So casted componets seem more appropriate I guess.

Dig the Megadeth quote. Dave Mustaine lives within 20 miles of me around here. A buddy was on a plane with him this week.

·
Registered
401 Posts
"your wasting money on forged internals"

I disagree, forged internals are cheap insurance and give you some piece of mind if you decide to increase the horsepower later on. My motto has always been "Too much ain't enough".

·
Registered
401 Posts
Welcome. If you want a quality short block or complete engine with a good warranty I'd check out Blueprint engines.

http://blueprintengines.com/
I forgot to mention that Blueprint engines also builds an 850hp 632" Chevy. Believe or not it also has a warranty and runs on pump gas. I don't see it on their website but a friend of mine recently bought one. He bought it at a Chevy dealership so Blueprint may have a contract to build the 850hp 632" for GM.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
there is a whole range of NEW GM crate motors out there too - check JEGS and SummitRacing - they used to offer free shipping too
thanks! I see JEGS offers Blueprint as well with free shipping sometimes a little lower price than the Blueprint site. Wading through the GM engines as well.

I see that Blueprint 632 on JEGS as well but that will break the bank unfortunately. 850hp is temptingggggg

I'm thinking of getting as a complete a package as possible. Any thoughts on internal vs external balancing?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I'm one of several who did the LT1 conversion (the police Caprice you mentioned). Makes it a lot easier if you get a whole donor because there's always one more thing... There's a whole LT/LS/EFI page in the forum for your reading enjoyment.
But the fuel injection makes the car a wonder, starts on half a crank, added 5mpg, and no need to jack around with the choke when the seasons change.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
"your wasting money on forged internals"

I disagree, forged internals are cheap insurance and give you some piece of mind if you decide to increase the horsepower later on. My motto has always been "Too much ain't enough".
Not exactly what I said......but so be it if that's what you heard.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm one of several who did the LT1 conversion (the police Caprice you mentioned). Makes it a lot easier if you get a whole donor because there's always one more thing... There's a whole LT/LS/EFI page in the forum for your reading enjoyment.
But the fuel injection makes the car a wonder, starts on half a crank, added 5mpg, and no need to jack around with the choke when the seasons change.
thanks I didn't know about that page - just lost 60 minutes on it :) As I plan this out the EFI makes sense.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I'm going EFI with mine also.....I'll do it with my '68 Camaro as well when the Camino is "done". I don't like jackin' with carbs.....I'm sure EFI has their own set of quirks though if it's not a factory system.
I'm not promoting Blueprint specifically (never bought one as a matter of fact) but they have a couple of EFI engines in your desired power range for less than 6k. Others may also......:eek:nfire:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts