El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd throw this question out there and hope to get lucky.

I have a 76 Elky, stock iron manifolds into a previous owner installed dual exhaust (no cats) w/mufflers and turndowns in back that is aluminized and rusting out badly. My question is, does anyone make a stock manifold back exhaust (bolt on, no welding) dual exhaust for my 76? I do not own a welder so any of that type of work is out of the question. I don't care if its aluminized or stainless at this point. I'm not in it for performance and don't want to install headers to match something up.

So anybody know of one? Thanks in advance, hope someone can help a fellow El Camino owner out. :)

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
Have you checked the local auto parts stores ?? You can go online to most parts stores sites & look. 1974 was the last year for dual exhaust on Elcos, as far as I know, and no cat converters, so you could get '74 parts for it. Summit Racing has a tailpipe kit for GM A-bodies that would likely work for you. And the Pypes brand has stainless head pipes, to go from manifolds to the mufflers.
Summit has those too I believe.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i did a pypes kit for a friend a couple years a go and was a breeze to install,everything fit perfectly no welding. it used slip fit pipe connections with flat band clamps to seal it all up

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for responding. Looks like my best bet would be to get the downpipes from Summit that connect up to the stock manifolds, then get their header back exhaust that is meant to be connected to long tube headers, not stock manifolds and possibly cut it down to length. I could probably manage the cuts. My only other problem is I have the stock transmission crossmember that is set up for the single exhaust pipe. The rusty exhaust currently on it has the driver side pipe flattened to give clearance over the crossmember. I also suppose I could flatten/crush it myself with the BFM tool (wink wink). It would look redneck but I suppose no one but me would be seeing it.

Again thanks and if anyone else has any info, please share. :)

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
...Find a crossmember off of a chevelle/monte carlo in the year of 73 to 75...:beer:
:beer:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...Find a crossmember off of a chevelle/monte carlo in the year of 73 to 75...:beer:
:beer:
I've given thought to that. Would it be a simple swap or drilling/welding required to do so you think?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts