El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off

1.)1967 chevelle 327,,,,with some goodies. 202 heads 13:5:1 compression, title said it was a built racing motor, Takes 114 octane (i think thats racing fuel), includes every thing but his fantsy valve covers and oil pan......$2000

2.)1978 pontiac 5.7L, with 4bbl carb. Unknown miles... Ran good, no knocking, no over heating. $75 bucks!

3.)2001 350, 30,000 miles, truck motor, replacrd for bigger motor $600 bucks

Tell me if any of this is worth taking a look at.

Personally either way the 2nd option doesnt seem like its that bad of a deal. If its a good motor i could rebuild it and put some special goodies and maybe add some high performance things and put it in mine. Otherwise i could sell the heads for $50 for the pair. Most of the money back right away.

Thanks guys

·
Deputy Director Supporting Member
2,247 Posts
I agree with you because you can make money on the heads and even if the block is cracked you can take it to the scrap metal place and easily make your money back plus some. Would be fun to keep around for a future build of some sort. But we all know a 400 or 455 block would be worth far more.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking at 400's mostly.... BUT im 16, just trying to make some extra cash.

I would have to save a bit for the 2 grand. Dont exactally have that much disposable cash right now.

I was thinking for 75 bucks a person couldafford a full rebuild for that price. Its only about 20 minutes away too.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fix it man:

Agree,

#1 has 375hp

did research on #2 and its only got 170horse... Might just sell it. If i do a motor swap, i want 300 horse before it even enters the engine bay. Mine does alright now so no sense on going down to 170hp. About equivelant to the 305 as the pontiac 350

and on #3 its a gm crate motor 290horse, he planned to put it in his truck but didnt. Read it wrong

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
# 1 NO
# 2 NO

# 3 Good Deal !!
#1 - Not even remotely a good deal unless the block is made of gold
#2 - Almost nothing of any value here
#3 - could be a good deal depending on whats attached. $600 seems high though edit: if the crate is complete and low mileage then this is a good deal

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/pts/3178291001.html

Here it is. Whoops 1968 not 78.

And 265 hp.

Doesnt seem bad.

Jpm, 350. Dont know from what? 350 belts and stuff are the only thing that fit it.

Thats why im saying if i put it in mine i would do a total rebuild. Maybe invest $1000 just in the pistons, camshaft, crank, lifters. Do it right otherwise there is no point.

Im just thinking about askingg for garage space for my birthday. Or i could rent a corner of our garage. I could even sand it down and repaint it and sell it for $200 bucks with new gaskets and paint?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont know if he has it anymore, just sent him an email.

Did find out he has the highoutput model producing

320hp, 380ftlbs torque!! Dang

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
So you would consider installing a pontiac motor in your car? I dont recall the cutoff year but pretty sure '68 would be the pontiac specific motor and not just the corporate V8.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh ive already decided either way it aint goin in the elky. Not sure it will bolt up to my transmission

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,209 Posts
Indeed! While a Pontiac engine that has no overheating issues is a plus (should you choose to believe that), It don't drop in and bolt up to other than BOP stuff. Number one has parts with some value considering that the intake is similar to the heads. A running 350 is a decent start to whatever you might wish to do.....Even staying with injection vs carb...etc.

Just put together your dream without creating cobwebs in your wallet.

:beer:

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I aint puttin it in!

Might turn around sell it if i get it. Maybe take a few parts out..

It is a BOP bolt pattern.

I wanted to rebuild it with Dad but he thinks its not a good idea.

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
The 350 Pontiac engine is the same basic block as the bigger ones, lik 389, 400 etc, so it's likely a heavier engine than a Chevy. Good enough engine of course, for the family car :smileyb:
I was really into Pontiacs in the old days, and cooling issues were a problem with some of them. Even had one that over heated because the block still had flashing & other foundry crap in it. That was a '59 Pontiac that I bought new, & it over heated when less than a year old.
I also had a '67 Bonneville with a 400, and rebuilt it to a 406 with much head work, big cam etc, and it wasn't nearly as strong as my 406 Chevy.

Stick to a Chevy !

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
IT AINT GOIN IN MY CHEVY! Just a little project to learn more about engines mostly and to sell it

·
Registered
572 Posts
No offence to anyone....But you guys dont know how good you have it,if there was a V8 advertised in OZ(regardless of origin) for $75....it would be sold in a second.....ohh to live in the U.S where its relatively cheap to restore an old car....just to put things in perspective...to get a SB rebuilt,say 350hp,we are looking at around $5000 in labour and parts....to import,say $500 worth of moldings from the U.S we are facing a shipping cost ,more than the parts cost!!!!!,it takes a dedicated "car guy" to restore something here....:poke: Rant over!

·
Deputy Director Supporting Member
2,247 Posts
Wait, are you saying we Americans are unappreciative of our opportunities?? How right you are!
Hey 84, I think it's bang-up respectable of you to offer, but I hope your parents wouldn't seriously consider "renting" you a corner of the garage. Is it really going to cause them headache? If that's the case then I owe my dad about $500 bucks from the high school days. I would just offer to trade chores like mowing or staining the deck, etc. Guess I thought parents were more supportive....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts