El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have been thinking this over, that will be of no use to me, I am even considering removing the insides and just leaving the top cover as part of the bed, welded and sealed. anyone done that? I have some rust in the bottom of the compartment and dont have too much cashola to throw at it... Opinions

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Unless it's rusted thru, I would go after the rust, use brushed on bed liner, and then lay carpet over it. If it's rusted thru in places, cut those areas and weld in new material to seal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have been having the same thoughts for my 67. I have a way to go before I really need to take action. I have been looking around for a dodnor car with no luck. The front of mt bed where it meets the cover has some rot which will cause a leak.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I may just repair it and get a new door for it and just seal it...heading to pick and pull tomorrow in search for the door..

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well was at the junkyard today, picked up the cover in great shape.. So I will install the cover, before that I will spray some of the rust paint to stop it seal any holes from underneath, complete seal and the seal the top cover permanently...

·
Registered
717 Posts
I am even considering removing the insides and just leaving the top cover as part of the bed, welded and sealed. anyone done that?
Yes, I did this to mine a few years ago. I welded the top cover/lid shut and cut open the wall inside the cab so that the smuggler's compartment is now accessible from the inside.

Here is a link to my topic(with pictures) if you want to check it out. http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=28065

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I did this to mine a few years ago. I welded the top cover/lid shut and cut open the wall inside the cab so that the smuggler's compartment is now accessible from the inside.

Here is a link to my topic(with pictures) if you want to check it out. http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=28065
Thats exactly what is wrong with mine low, I just dont plan on using anything in the smugglers compartment. Maybe Ill just cut the rust off and prep it all with undercarriage protector and seal the top...My crossmember is in good shape just the sheet metal is toast..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts