El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new gas tank for my '80. I'll try to replace the old one this weekend. Any tips I should know (other than emptying it) before I start?

Thanks,
Jack

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
take the fuel lines off above the rear axle and remove the gas cap.slides right out.piece of cake.the lines are bolted to the bottom of the bed if you disconnect them first your not fighting them with the tank dangleing

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Use a torch to get her done quickly,, but if you dont want to try that (and please dont) soak the strap bolts with PB Blaster so they come off without a torch,, Matty man:poke:

·
Registered
742 Posts
What brand is it ???

If it's the unit out of Canada (Spectra) you may want to check when it was made.

They had a real problem with the tanks not filling properly..
They did not vent properly and gas would gush out the neck when then tank reached a bit over 1/4 full. Then it took 15-20 minutes to fill the unit.

I was told mine was a later design and would not have that problem... It Did and adding the vent lines is a Pain in the A_ _ !

Do a "Search" on this site there is a ton of information available about this issue if you think you have an early Spectra unit.

Arnie in Iowa

·
Registered
132 Posts
Try and get as much gas out of it as humanly possible. Its amazing how unweildy (hard to manage) they are with a gallon or two sloshing around in there.

DO NOT store the tank inside - the fumes are highly explosive. DO NOT SMOKE during procedure!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try and get as much gas out of it as humanly possible. Its amazing how unweildy (hard to manage) they are with a gallon or two sloshing around in there.

DO NOT store the tank inside - the fumes are highly explosive. DO NOT SMOKE during procedure!!!!
Thanks. Fortunately I quit smoking 27 years ago. I quit because the price went up to $8 a carton. That's about what a pack will be in a year or so. Haven't touched one since.

Jack

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've never smoked - the reference to "ask me how I know" was because we had a small explosion one time with a tiny, tiny bit of vaporized gasoline - scared the crap out of me!

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
When you remove the tank, get new sections of fuel line (hose). Don't use the old hoses.
Don't know how accessable the tubes on the sender are on yours, but putting slightly over-length hoses on the sending unit before mounting the tank may be the way to go, and cutting them to length after the tank is bolted in.
And get a close look at the ground wire, where it's screwed to the body or frame. Cleaning the ground now may save some work later.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I have a 1980 Caballero and if it's not BROKE then don't fix it. It does not leak but it sure likes to drink gas too fast it seems, but that might just be my foot causing that. Michael in Virginia:dontknow:

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got the old tank out. No big deal. I have the new one in, but I can't get the straps to reach.

I bent the front and rear lips up where the straps go, but they still won't reach. The bolts need to be about 1/4" longer.

·
Premium Member
3,190 Posts
Make sure you have the tank settled into its place . I had a similar problem when I had my tank out but with working it around and "settling" it into "its spot" the straps were long enough. Is this the same size tank,gallon wise ?

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought 2 bolts 10 mm longer and it's now in and tight. Yes, I replaced it with a 22 gallon tank.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts