El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to figure out what kind of u-joint to get. Definitely trying to find something with zerk fittings that could eventually handle 400lb of torque.

I know Strange makes a nice set but seems awfully pricey to me and just wanted to see who is using what and why?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I'm putting 700# of torque to Car Quest u-joints.
Run from any u-joint with Copper colored clips, there to soft. :texas::beer:

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,948 Posts
I bought some for my 84 from THE PARTS HOUSE ! I know they have stores in Jax !
I got the heavy duty ones for around $15 each ! They have the zerk fittings !

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,209 Posts
Just order up at Advance AP or any other. You should get 2 options. Just go for the heavy duty choice. Price difference is minimal.

:beer:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I looked for all sorts of do it at home solutions with pullers, vices, sockets, etc...

Then for the hell of it I called the local driveline shop. $15 each for heavy duty, greasable parts $10 for them to put 'em on. Just bring them the shaft/ujoints.

That's about $37 less than the puller tools and I think is a $20 well spent!

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,948 Posts
Well I looked for all sorts of do it at home solutions with pullers, vices, sockets, etc...

Then for the hell of it I called the local driveline shop. $15 each for heavy duty, greasable parts $10 for them to put 'em on. Just bring them the shaft/ujoints.

That's about $37 less than the puller tools and I think is a $20 well spent!

:beer: Don't you wish it's that easy all the time !!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got drive shaft down without problems. 2 of the rear screws came off real easy and 2 were stubborn. both u joints have some play in them and are now heading to the shop!

Taking some pics to post later for anybody else who needs reference. Took about ten minutes.
Of course, being it's FL it rained but it didn't matter as I was under the chassis. :nanawrench:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So the driveline shop used NEOC or summat... they said they're Spicer equivalents. They also said the machining on them are much better tolerances and that they are close to being balanced when they do balance driveshafts. Apparently the parts store ones are really loose tolerances and the same price.

He also said the originals were shot. The trans one was just rust and dust.

New ones are on there, I should have pics up later today.

No loud clank, no hesitation on torque delivery. Still a bit of a seating sound in the trans end but I think it's the normal transmission engaging sound.

No weird death wobble from the trans tunnel. 3 hours total, $53.00. :nanawrench:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts