El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the LS6, big block 454, engine option was available on the 1970 El Camino, but has anybody on this board seen a documented 1970 Elky that came with this option?

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Oh they exsist, but only for people like Jay Leno and Reggie Jackson. I have seen a few for auction on Ebay from time to time, they were advertised as #s matching but there was no way to actually prove that if your not there to check it out. My son recently bought what was supposed to be a GTA Trans AM off Ebay, turns out it was really just a Trans Am with a 305 and WS6 option and made to look like a GTA. Even tho, he still got it for a steal. You really gotta check those cars out, theres more and more clones appearing these days. Oh if I could only win the Lottery! I donno maybe I'm just dreaming about all that money and about a Burgandy with black interior 1970 SS 454 LS6 El Camino...with a 4 speed no less! Maybe their like Unicorns, they only exsist in fantasies. :lol:

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have seen at least 1 in person at a car show (guy had the buildsheet to prove it) and have seen several magazine articles talking about them... I think one was about a guy who had matching 70 chevelle & elcamino LS-6 cars....

I don't know what the big deal about them really is... People have been building their own engines up to put in our cars for years wiht more than 450hp... There are other options that cars had or didn't have that made them as rare or more rare than that engine option...

I think its a MAJOR waste when these super high hp cars that were made in limited production are just put up on a pedistal and never driven just because they were a little more rare. If i owned one i would drive the wheels off it. Low miles or not- THat is what it was built for. :)

Actually, if i had one, I'd go to the barret jackson auction and do burnout doughnuts in the parking lot to rack up the miles! :D

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
AHSOM 70, I agree, if I had one, I might not drive it everyday, but you would definately find me enjoying it on nice weekends. These cars were made to be driven, not stuck in some museum or a giant environmentally contolled zip lock bag.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I actually passed up on buying one in '99. I saved the ad and still look at it from time to time. The guy wanted $18.5 K for it. At the time, I didn't know how rare it was, or even if his claim of a LS6 454/450hp matching numbers engine was true, but I just could not swing the "Benjamin's" at the time.

I kick myself every time I look at the ad. It was red with black vinyl top along with black stripes.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
My brother had a 1971 with a 454 automatic (400) in it. I's sure it wasn't the real deal, but it was fun to drive. A little scary to try and stop though. It was red with black stripes. He had a matching 71 Chevelle convertible, with, air, tach dash, real nice. He transplanted a 71 SS El Camino 402 in it to replace the 350 it was born with. I suppose the 402 engine codes may come close to matching with the same years, but it really didn't matter to him. Both fun to drive, and drive he did. Not worrying if it was sitting at the parking lot of the grocery store. There would always be a crowd around it asking questions. Cleaning the drool off was the biggest problem he had. He made no bones about it, if I needed a joy ride either.

The good old days.... (only about 6 years ago when he sold them for the kids' braces, etc. )

JC

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
According to the production numbers, there were a little under 544 LS6 equiped El Camino's.
I am going by a production poster from Dan Carr. He seems to have done his homework on this and I would say it is accurate.
Today would be a perfect day to take it out for a ride.

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
544 1970 LS6's in El Caminos sure sounds like a large number. I don't have Dan Carr's poster, but, could this be a total for LS6's in Chevelles and El Caminos in 1970?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
4128 LS6 Chevelle's for '70. According to the numbers by Dan, he did break it down between Chevelles and El Camino's. So, the LS6 El Camino is indeed a rare breed compared to Chevelle's.
Another interesting number is that there were only 95 LS6 convertible's for '70. Now that is a rare classic!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Actually, if you want to talk RARE.... how about 1970 Chevelle & Elcamino SS396 L89 cars- Solid Lifter 375 horse. This option was REPLACED by the LS6 option in November/December 1969- so only a handful got installed in chevelles and elcaminos.

:)

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, thanks! We'll go with 544, 1970 LS6 El Caminos. Perhaps I do have a chance of finding one.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
OK, you wanna talk rare? How about a 68 or 69 El Camino with an L-88 option. Think any of those exist? Anyone old enough to remember Baldwin, Yenko, Motion or Nickey (with the backward K)? These were the dealerships and guys responsible for real factory hotrods!

·
Registered
4 Posts
LS6 El Camino

I have a numbers matching 1970 SS LS6 El Camino. Dan Carrs production numbers for them seems a bit on the high side. I have been able to locate only a few such equiped El Camino's. The links for them and other info regarding LS6 Elky's is on my web site. The El Camino would have been an odd platform for a guy to put over $4,000 into, to get a 450hp race car. It took the right guy with the right amount of up front cash who didnt want a Chevelle to order one of these babies.

http://elcaminocentral.com/users/1970ls6/index.html

Any info anybody here has on the subject is welcome news.
I have been busy giving the car its 1st major servicing since I aquired it and determining it's overall condition. Anyone interested in my progress check in on my site . I will keep the pics and info regarding the project as up to date as possible.
Regards, Rick

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Wow Rick, your one of the few lucky enough to own the car I only can dream about...can I be in your will? I would kill for a car like that. Do you like mushrooms on your pizza? I'm buying...after you put me in your will of course. Just kidding heh heh heh!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Friend had a 1970 El Camino LS6 White with Black Stripes

Someone asked if anyone knew of a real LS6 1970 El Camino. I do. Following is the story.

I was in college at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis 1970-1974. I had a 1969 Z-28 Camaro, white with black stripes. A good friend of mine came back to the University in the Fall of either 1971 (or 1972?) with a 1970 El Camino LS6, white with black stripes along with a 454 CI Engine rated at 450 HP. It had the three speed automatic transmission. It was real, and thus I can attest to at least one 1970 El Camino LS6.

An boy was it fast! For some reason it had 78 profile tires on it when he bought it. We took it and my Z-28 to Minnesota Dragways (strip) in Coon Rapids, Minnesota one weekend. I recall it turned low 13s that day with the 78 profile tires!

I drove it a few times. It was the fastest car I had ever driven on the street. And it had a great sound when you accelerated hard and opened up the cowl air induction!

One night my friend visited me at work, 45 minutes (mostly highway) from the University of Minnesota. We switched cars on the way home, and he followed me back to the University in my Z-28. A beautiful silver Camaro SS 396 with Cragar SS wheels pulled next to me on the highway. We slowed to 45 MPH, then both hit it hard. The Camaro absolutely blew away the El Camino LS6 I was driving. Just left it in the dust.

When we got back to the University, my friend asked my what I had done wrong and why I lost the race so badly. I laughed, and told him the Camaro had a modified 427 in it. I knew that and knew of the owner, John King of Edina, Minnesota. He worked at one of the local gas stations and I had seen and admired his beautiful Camaro many times. [As a side note, there was also a Grabber Blue Boss 429 Mustang at the gas station across the street. One of the only ones I ever saw on the street back then.] The Camaro SS "396" turned 10s at the strip. No wonder it blew away my friends LS6!

My friend only kept the El Camino for a year or so. Seemed it averaged 4-5 MPG, tough on a poor college student. But boy was it fast! And it was real.

·
Registered
572 Posts
According to the production numbers, there were a little under 544 LS6 equiped El Camino's.
I am going by a production poster from Dan Carr. He seems to have done his homework on this and I would say it is accurate.
Today would be a perfect day to take it out for a ride.
WoW,That was a high number of LS6s,i was sure there was less built than that..You learn something every day on this forum....Speaking of LS6s...When my Ex wife and I,got married,15 odd years ago,one of our wedding cars was a LS6 chevelle..Cranberry red,4 spd,the other was a black,68, SS 396 el camino,The weather was perfect,right up until the day we got married,and the heavens opened up,i really felt,for the guys that owned the cars !!.....By the way,this was in Auckland New Zealand...Im sure,at the time,that LS6,was the only one in the country....

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
A guy in high school had a 70 ls6 4 spd elky. Kinda liked to wheel hop.

This was in a town of about 4000 in Alaska.

Dark blue and white.

Just went back to the start and saw this thread is from 2003.

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
...Hey,What about the GMC Sprint...!!!.. Anybody out there got one of these rare trucks...??.. I'd take that in a heartbeat...:beer:

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,009 Posts
One member - Two LS6 Elkys

We have one member with two (2), count 'em, TWO LS6 El Caminos. I won't expose him, but check out the 2013 El Caminos of Canada as a starting spot to begin searching for him and the beauties............................Ken :dontknow:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts