El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 70 el camino that Im tossing the idea around about doing a frame off resto and I was wondering if anyone has had a car dipped before? A old boss of mine had a place I think it was in Dallas that dipped his 55 fairlane and put it into a primer. Looked really good just didnt know what the pros and cons are? Ive had cars sand blasted and soda blasted but you never get all the sand out or all the soda out. Any tips would be helpful thanks.

Jeff

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Well, I never have seen a house fly, but I watched many float away during floods. Jarhead, next time make it a line about a sand flea.
As to Jeff's question.... I have seen several chassis that were dipped.I think it is a three step deal
Degrease
Acid wash and rinse
Prime and paint.

Not sure, but I believe it is the only way to ensure that there are no surfaces left unprepped.No chance of contaminants that could screw up a top shelf paint job.
And that's all the skinny on dipping.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
You know guys not to be a jerk but here's a relativly new member. He joined about a month ago and he's asking a serious question and every response has been some goofy s**t!
Is it any wonder he hasn't responded to his own thread? This site is usually so helpful, what's up?
Somebody spike the punch?:dontknow:

·
2,566 Posts
Hey where did everyone go? Something I said?:dontknow:

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Please read the fine print. After enjoying a laugh I set out a serious reply. Laughter is good for ya!:poke:

·
2,566 Posts
Yeah I know James it wasn't you. But now we look a little goofy 'cause they hit delete and ducked for cover. :dontknow:

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Sorry guys, the question just struck my funny bone and all I could think about was that stupid house fly joke. Please forgive me and I hope to contain my future attempts at serious humor. Consider my knuckles bloodied! And no, I have never dipped a car. I did however, own a 97 Huyndai Elantra , they:beer: were dipped at the factory. I drove that car all over the beach at Surfside. I put 250,000 miles on the little car and never an ounce of rust. I would say that the dipping, rinsing and the dipping again would rid the car of all sandblasting media.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry guys been busy the last couple days to see if anyone responded to what I said.Thanks for the info guys. A member messaged me a link on here that was helpful and is pretty close by my area.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Well, after all this talk about "dipping" I am heading to my pool.
Gonna do some moonlight skinny dippin water temp is 82. Gator free.

·
Registered
48 Posts
car body dipping

Probably the best an most efficient prep for a total restoration, but with drawbacks.
The acid goes everywhere and leaves the metal bare naked, and if not primed inside and out, rust will grow quickly and aggressively.
The problem is getting the epoxy primer inside of every piece as well as on the part you see. Once I saw a Model A that had been dipped 8 years before and it became the worst rust bucket ever, rusting from the inside out. Especially everywhere the sheet metal was crimped.
Recently I saw a 33 Buick dipped, but without and wood in the body and with all crimped and enclosed areas sealed at one end and filled with epoxy primer, then drained.
I suspect our unibody El Camino's would have to many hidden places for rust to come back and destroy them from the inside out.
My 2 cents.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts