El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 85 has an after market dash cap on it. I starting trying to remove it but if feels like it's glued down. It's in real good shape so I don't want to crack it but I wanted to change out the dash speakers. Anyone ever removed one after it's been on a couple of years!!!:dontknow:
Donny

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Donny,yes they are glued down,most of the time by,silicone,if you don't care if the cap gets cracked than take it off,most of the time the cap will crack when trying to remove it.:beer:

·
Supporting Member
4,568 Posts
It would probably be easier to remove the dash and change the speakers from underneath. It takes less than an hour to remove ( once you've done one, it's surprisingly easy).

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Just think, if someone would come up with a cap that installed using Velcro, they'd out sell the competition (IMO). :poke:

Doug

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Have never had a dash cap before. But if you can slide a long flexable knife such as as a long iceing flat knife under it you could probably cut through most of the silicon.
Or you could just mount your front speakers in the door. :texas::dontknow::beer:
Good luck,
Mike

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
dash cap

Donny,
I agree with darbysan, go ahead and pull the dash, lots of things you can clean up while you have it all opened up, lights, vents, the list goes on. On my 77 it only took about an hour the first (only) time.
Good Luck,
bill

·
Registered
134 Posts
i put in one of those dash caps on my 80' a few months ago one thing i know is we had to take out the steering wheel and dash gauge cluster to fit it properly im assuming youd have to do the same to remove it. depending on how they installed it, there should only be glue on the egdes to keep them from lifting.

·
Registered
230 Posts
mine came with center speaker But I had have speaker grates.Had to to grind down a small bit to make them fit new cap also put screw clips in area provided by factory. I had speaker in center but just punched in holes with my fist on outside Then felt around down in hole and found small holes for clips that srews go into on inward side of the dash. they all came with outside holes. Some just got center speaker and some got outsde speakers. clips at ACE hardware cost pennies also picked up black screws long enough to reach new cilps my interior is black thats why black screws. when buying cover make sure it has recess for outside. mine dash looks all original. if you don't have outside grates pick some up on e-bay most have good after market speakers with them. Good luck let me know if you have any ?s or my message makes no sense

·
Registered
230 Posts
1 last thing speakers mount grate. sounds like you'r speaker cover is one with just holes drlled in it. at any rate i think the only way is speakers have to mount to grate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts