El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been patiently waiting on a new engine for my ‘68 SS. It should ship on Monday and hopefully I’ll be installing it in just a few weeks. I currently have a 670 Street Avenger, but this engine will require a 770, at minimum. I’ve really been rolling the dice in my head regarding a Holley Sniper system instead. A big part of me wants to keep this car “simple” and avoid drivetrain electronics. But I’m intrigued by the driveability of the EFI systems.

I know fully well that I’ll very likely never see enough in fuel savings to justify the Sniper financially over a carburetor. But this car isn’t about saving money. It’s a toy.

So I guess I’m asking if any of you out there have gone to EFI but regretted it for any reason.

This car is just for cruising around in and my only goal for it is for it to be 100% reliable.

Thanks,
Tom.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Subscribing. Good question! I keep dreaming about a Sniper for my '78 Lincoln with 521 stroker. Spent a lot of time tuning a 750 Quick Fuel carb for it. Runs great but it's just too small.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I'd

Subscribing. Good question! I keep dreaming about a Sniper for my '78 Lincoln with 521 stroker. Spent a lot of time tuning a 750 Quick Fuel carb for it. Runs great but it's just too small.
I'd also like to know the height of these systems as compared to carb, approx. I like these systems but don't have any additional room to spare

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
I've installed 5 FITech and 3 Sniper systems now. Go for it. You won't be sorry. The little time spent going through the learning curve versus the time (and money) spent tuning a carb is no comparison.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
I agree with Neil. I've done retro factory systems and also one of the very first holley analog tbi systems. Couple of issues I had with it were my fault, always have fuel filter before an inline pump to avoid clogging impeller and make sure you have a proper return line into tank. Not being thorough & proper with your wiring & grounds is a common fault blamed on systems.
These days the systems aren't really that complicated to figure out and find info on if needed. Besides the extra driveability & economy factor, the bad effect modern fuel is having on carbs makes efi a real plus.

Some inline pumps are ok, but the way factories set up pumps in tank is really hard to beat for reliability. A lot of factory Gm tbi & multiport pumps in tank I've seen fail are many times after the 100,000 mile range.
Height of tbi & carb systems are pretty comparable.

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts
I would save the money and install an A/F gauge and tune away it's easy.:cool2:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a BBC, Edelbrock Performer air gap manifold with a Holley Stealth. Had to clearance the air filter bottom to clear the unit. It JUST fits under a 70 OEM Chevy Cowl hood. Do not regret getting it.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Please remember - any powered fuel pump in the tank for EFI needs a minimum amount of fuel in the tank to act as a coolant and lubricant for the pump motor. You will wear out the pump motor faster if you run your tank low a lot.

For me, a quarter of a tank of fuel is my low limit.

Rick

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
If anyone has a working carb & is scared of efi, then fine, stick with your carb.

But the original question here is anyone gone efi & been sorry. I can safely say not likely that anyone who properly put in a modern quality system that meets the engines needs has been sorry.

Sure problems occur, sensors eventually fail,some run themselves nuts chasing problems . Mismatched systems are the worst, such as piecing together an old small/long tubed tuned port system with mass air flow onto a cammed up race engine & both choking it & not having it being capable of metering things properly. Even so called self learning universal efi systems may have many different setting parameters to self tune from & an incorrect one won't do just right. Tuning is critical, but really no different than a poor carb choice or a malfunctioning or incorrectly tuned one.
The overpopularity of the LS engines these days says something of the value of a proper efi system with the saying of wire em up & fire em up.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If anyone has a working carb & is scared of efi, then fine, stick with your carb.

But the original question here is anyone gone efi & been sorry. I can safely say not likely that anyone who properly put in a modern quality system that meets the engines needs has been sorry.

Sure problems occur, sensors eventually fail,some run themselves nuts chasing problems . Mismatched systems are the worst, such as piecing together an old small/long tubed tuned port system with mass air flow onto a cammed up race engine & both choking it & not having it being capable of metering things properly. Even so called self learning universal efi systems may have many different setting parameters to self tune from & an incorrect one won't do just right. Tuning is critical, but really no different than a poor carb choice or a malfunctioning or incorrectly tuned one.
The overpopularity of the LS engines these days says something of the value of a proper efi system with the saying of wire em up & fire em up.
I guess I should have been more specific with my choices. Choice #1 is just a bigger carburetor to match my new engine and add a wideband A/F gauge to assist in tuning.

Choice #2 would be a new Sniper with hard 3/8” lines in both directions, new tank, and new in-tank pump. No cobbled parts and definitely well-executed electrical connections.

My engine will make less than 600 HP and the builder says it will idle nicely at 800 RPM, so lumpy-cam metering issues shouldn’t arise.

My problem is that I’m indecisive. I may end up just doing the carb swap for now then adding the EFI at a later date. If I only had a brain....

Thank you all for your replies thus far.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
That also would be a good plan, Get it running now & then later get it running better.:rockon: Trying to do more things at one time than you may be ready to handle takes it's toll on you.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm happy with my Holley 650 Spread-bore double pumper. I thought about the Sniper but I'm a carb junkie. I've rebuilt many Q-jets and Holleys for big and small blocks and I enjoy the little bit of tuning. To me it's a part of the 'ol school Hot Rodding craft.

·
Registered
267 Posts
My ‘82 came with a FAST EZ EFI system on a 350 and its never idled very well. I’ve been considering switching EFI systems or trying to tinker with the timing to get it a bit better.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My 72 has a FAST EFI...sitting on an Edelbrock RPM Performer...no clearance issues.

355 built, balanced and blueprinted by Mach Performance Racing...EFI dialed in professionally

Runs great.

Had to unlearn bad habits...just turn the key and it starts up...do not put foot on gas when starting (will flood).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts