El Camino Central Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,566 Posts
Squag27 , When you come to the Cars Of Dreams Museum Show in Palm Beach on March 10 you might want to ask a few of our members that have the aftermarket EFI systems on their Caminos . Several have the Fi-Tec set ups installed by 464elky . Neil has installed 5 Fi-Tecs and and three Sniper set ups with great results . A tool in his hands is like a magician with a wand . I have a quadrajet carb that Neil built for me that has been perfect for around 6 years now . Hope to replace my 350 engine in the next year or two and plan on going with a Fi-Tec at that point . See you in Palm Beach .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tom - I went with the FiTech system on my 350 build. Great system and a lot of online support - and the guys there are very helpful. I'm not real tech oriented but I can say that the fuel injection unit is very sensitive, so if there is anything wrong... such as vacuum leaks, spark plug failure, heat sensors and O2 sensors not working, the system will try to compensate for the problem - therefore making it easy to assume that there's something wrong with the efi. I've been doing my own work and my motor obviously had some kinks to work out - and I, some things to learn.

If you want the ease of a carbureted system, then great. If you want to step up to efi and have the newer technology with a fairly easy learning curve and slightly better gas mileage (arguable) you probably won't regret it. And same height as the Edelbrock carburetor I had.

Good luck and hope that helps!

Tony

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve been patiently waiting on a new engine for my ‘68 SS. It should ship on Monday and hopefully I’ll be installing it in just a few weeks. I currently have a 670 Street Avenger, but this engine will require a 770, at minimum. I’ve really been rolling the dice in my head regarding a Holley Sniper system instead. A big part of me wants to keep this car “simple” and avoid drivetrain electronics. But I’m intrigued by the driveability of the EFI systems.

I know fully well that I’ll very likely never see enough in fuel savings to justify the Sniper financially over a carburetor. But this car isn’t about saving money. It’s a toy.

So I guess I’m asking if any of you out there have gone to EFI but regretted it for any reason.

This car is just for cruising around in and my only goal for it is for it to be 100% reliable.

Thanks,
Tom.
I just put a FITEC 660 fuel injection on my big block 454 and it is outstanding on the performance it starts right up with no waiting and when you step down on it it is gone (no hesitation )

·
Registered
274 Posts
i installed a fitech system on my winter beater and have kind of regretted wasting the money. at least at -20*c the carb was guaranteed to start. the fuel injection left my truck dead in the driveway for about a week till it was warm enough to work and even that was a super miserable to get started. definitely does not start like a fuel injected vehicle should when cold. also was dumb enough to buy the kit with inline pump. those things are junk. plan to go in tank fuel pump. had the inline pump fail less than 3 days after install and almost left me stranded multiple times before i installed a fuel gauge to figure it out. also had a TPS fail about 2 months after install and new sensor seems to like sitting at 0.5% regularly. i bought the system hoping it would make my winter warm up a bit less miserable since i could use the remote start which don't work because the fitech can't start without human help when it is below freezing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tom - I think your "indecisiveness" is well-warranted and I suffer from it as well. In this case, you're talking about a substantial and expensive change that will affect the performance of your baby and you're then left to deal with the results, good, bad, or indifferent. That's one reason I rely on this board - to hear from so many differing opinions so I can try and make up my own feeble mind on what I should do. Most of the time it's so blatantly obvious what I need to do while sometimes it's just what you want your car to be. I know I'll be following this thread closely because I've been fighting the carb demons with my Edelbrock trying to get that thing to stop leaking fuel from the throttle body. Just about ready to pack it back up and try something new. Anyway, looking forward to your decision!

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Tom - I think your "indecisiveness" is well-warranted and I suffer from it as well. In this case, you're talking about a substantial and expensive change that will affect the performance of your baby and you're then left to deal with the results, good, bad, or indifferent. That's one reason I rely on this board - to hear from so many differing opinions so I can try and make up my own feeble mind on what I should do. Most of the time it's so blatantly obvious what I need to do while sometimes it's just what you want your car to be. I know I'll be following this thread closely because I've been fighting the carb demons with my Edelbrock trying to get that thing to stop leaking fuel from the throttle body. Just about ready to pack it back up and try something new. Anyway, looking forward to your decision!
Right now I’m pretty well set on just keeping the carburetor. I’m fortunate, in that I’m retired and while not rich by any standard, my disposable income does allow me to play with a car project. I enjoy modifying and tinkering even more than driving. As much as EFI appeals to me though, something about this particular car calls to me in a somewhat primal way. I was even thinking of ditching the HEI in favor of points, but it seems that the HEI distributors are the one thing that just make total sense on any GM car these days.

I sucked it up and bought a wideband O2 controller/gauge and will hopefully have time to put it in this weekend. The new engine is finally done and hopefully I’ll have it in the next week or so. I confirmed with the builder that running my current 670 Street Avenger won’t be a problem until I make up my mind. Based on the dyno sheet he sent me yesterday I should have no problem shredding my drag radials in every gear even if I shift well below 5K RPM, and the 670 will feed quite adequately in that range.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Sat 3/9 I finished the Install of the MSD Atomic EFI .

I am very happy , she purrs like a kitten . No more stalling at idle in gear due to low Vacuum and factory CCC carburetor .

If you are doing this and need to pass smog , there's alot of hidden expenses .

Return bypass regulator , i went with Tanks AFPR1 as it was cheap compared to others

:banana:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Sat 3/9 I finished the Install of the MSD Atomic EFI .

I am very happy , she purrs like a kitten . No more stalling at idle in gear due to low Vacuum and factory CCC carburetor .

If you are doing this and need to pass smog , there's alot of hidden expenses .

Return bypass regulator , i went with Tanks AFPR1 as it was cheap compared to others

:banana:
Its been a month since the EFI install was completed. Are you still happy?

Has it improved your fuel economy?

Have there been any failures or signicant downsides to the EFI?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I have a stock 1978 454, Turbo 400 and 2:73 rear end. It has a Quadrajet with the HEI. Starts right up on 100 degree afternoons with a stock starter, never stumbles or stalls all on 87 octane..
I did modernize the suspension with the SC&C Stage 3 package so I could drive in modern traffic with ease and comfort..

My cars simplicity is a big part of its beauty, the dash has three warning lights and a AM radio, I love it!! LOL

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Now for the silliest of questions:

Now that I have my new engine in, I’m just giddy listening to the nice gently loping idle. I know this is “caused” by cylinders not firing properly at low RPM’s, due mostly to the inability of the carburetor to feed it properly at idle. And I like it.

If I were to go EFI down the road would I lose that lovely song at idle because of the inherent efficiency of the EFI over the carburetor?

·
Registered
274 Posts
i don't see why you would loose the cammed sound with efi. efi usually takes cam into consideration when you do the initial setup

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
EFI tuned just right can smooth out idle somewhat, But it,s not like you're gonna sound like you no longer have a larger cam. Go on LS1tech,com & listen to idle of cars with cams. Many are choppy as all hell, just they stay running a little better than a carbed version.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks for those replies. It does seem silly, but I like the idle sound. For now I’m still sticking with a carburetor, but who knows what I’m likely to do in the future...

·
Registered
274 Posts
you could probably get the idle sound by just lowering the idle speed if you did go fuel injected. i know i had my truck set to 700rpm at idle and it still felt like it was idling higher than it did with carb but never had a tach as super accurate as the one that comes with the fuel injection. i think from the factory the idle was set for 1000 or so which would likely smooth out a idle.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts