El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live out in the country,and everyone,I mean everyone in my neighborhood drive trucks.
I'm buying the Elky mostly for utility...traveling and shuffling parts to the machine shop,bringing parts back from Pull a Part,etc.
Looking for thoughts about lifting the truck and adding some big tires and a big block motor.
Anyone have their Truck lifted?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think it would look bad if you lifted the vehicle. It will take on the Donk look even with off-road tires. I don't think El Camino's are intended for serious dirt road running.

~JM~

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking more like this.

·
Registered
74 Posts
That looks like an Elco sitting on a Blazer or truck frame. Complete with 4wd.

Looks pretty cool as a 4x4. Lots of work. It would probably be less expensive to buy another vehicle unless your a fabrication wizard.

Good luck
~JM~

·
Registered
532 Posts
if you like it, go for it, thats what it's all about in high school my buddy put a 68 camaro on a k5 chassis, not my thing, but he did it right and it got a lot of attention

·
Registered
101 Posts
My boy has a 5th gen with a six inch suspension lift
What parts are used and what OEM components need to be modified? I think a little bit of a lift on an El Camino could be pretty sweet. I wouldn't be interested in anything nearly as extreme as 6" though! Perhaps 3 or 4 at the most. Just enough to give a little more ground clearance and allow bigger tires.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Wit the 5th gen. If u want a 4wd elky. U get an old suburban n they almost bolt direct on from what I've been told by someone wit the blueprints. But wit a 74 im not to sure but I would try goin in that direction. I already want to but not enough $ to build the one I got and a 4wd elky.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Some nice HD springs and shocks would give it a better stance along with being a little more "truckish". Maybe some air bags in the rear for some real heavy loads. Plus a truck tire like a BFG All Terrain, it's also a 4th gen so it can fit some pretty beefy tires as is. As much as a lifted truck might be cool, it's not practical for a work vehicle.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

1 - 17 of 17 Posts